Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 57730 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB

Its not bad to hold an opposing view. :)

I don't think DNA is infallible , I think the application of it can sometimes border on quackery

' we tell you if you were related to Jesus'' '' are you of Viking stock' " we break your DNA down to which town you likely came from'' etc etc

I just feel there is more chance of finding a Non-Paternal Event (NPE) through DNA than paper records. I think the other thing that really interests me on a deep ancestral tribal level is that I can be part of a much larger group that shares blood in a more truer sense.

I mentioned on another thread how I would also like to be a rarity.  Eddie Izzards father has a rare haplogroup. This for him makes it easier to identify related people.

I am slowly allocating funds to do a few DNA tests. I don't believe its '' not worth it as there are not many in the pool'' I am in it for the long term.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Im not a fan (at present but my view could change)- mainly because it is far too expensive. As someone who is carrying a one name study. It potentially could unlock or make clear parentage connections on a few of my lines BUT as I said before, trying to encourage descendants of these "possibly" connected lines to take a test just isnt plausible because of the money involved.

A distant cousin of my husband's sent me his results, and since then I have had someone who isnt related personally contact me via my one name study site, stating that his results were similar, yet he has no evidence of Tivey's in his tree - more than likely an illegitimate child with father unknown somewhere along the line. You are welcome to the results of this distant cousin to compare them with others. if you want them send me a personal message, or contact me through my website.
Cheers
Janann
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Actually Janann that is where DNA testing is most welcome.

One Name Studies set up discounts on DNA testing because of the opportunity to match paper and blood records. It should  , along with the paper records , find either the Foundation Sire , or narrow down the area to look in.

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
My views are also on the negative side!

Firstly, I don't think the databases for UK people are anywhere near big enough.
Secondly, I am not yet convinced that the results of DNA testing are anything like accurate.
Thirdly, I think the DNA Testing is more of a Marketing thing, than it is genuine genealogy.

And I have not been tempted to take a DNA test ;D
My family history, both paternal and maternal, is English all the way back to the 1500's.
And that's on 3 or 4 roots.

So, as far as I know I have no use for DNA testing.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:30 GMT (UK) »
At this stage I have not had my DNA tested, however, have been "toying" with the idea. From my understanding the result would only reflect my genetic background i.e. English, European, and possibly Scandinavian(?) background.

The only real benefit I can see is matching my DNA to another living person who is positively descended from ancestor that I wish to be linked to - commonly called "breaking the brick wall".

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I would not have bothered with DNA testing but a fellow researcher (a third cousin) wanted more results, had a bargain offer, and offered to pay for one.

The results were as we expected with him as match number 1.  I find the terminology difficult but he, as a scientist, has no problem!  From memory the majority of connections were based in USA but as time moves on he might find more in the UK.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm very interested in DNA testing, and would be fascinated to see if it brought more insights to my family history research - although I suppose I fear that very general feedback (connections with Western Europe, for example) might take me very little further.

I suppose I've not got round even to researching the cost since I have plenty to do with adding to my tree with the current information available on the net.

However, perhaps this is an opportune reminder that it's now possible, relatively simply, to carry out a test, and I should research what is the best one to take - as someone generally interested in new technology.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to do a lot with DNA , some of which actually has been successful, but not with many people

However for most people the basic flaw in the system is that the people taking DNA tests do not know where exactly they came from, and that is why the do the test. For example they live in USA , but know the family came from Ireland, but do not know where in Ireland and do a DNA test to find out

Meanwhile in Ireland people who'd families never emigrated are not doing DNA tests because there is nothing in it for them - they know where they come from

So the person in USA never finds anything from their DNA test. The only matches they get are to other people in USA that have no ideas either

Having said that, there is an outside chance that you will be able to find something from the DNA, but the chances are not high
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
My views are also on the negative side!

Firstly, I don't think the databases for UK people are anywhere near big enough.
Catch 22 :) If you don't go in then they wont get bigger.
Secondly, I am not yet convinced that the results of DNA testing are anything like accurate
Is this about genetic DNA testing or Forensic DNA Testing? I wonder if people mix the 2
Thirdly, I think the DNA Testing is more of a Marketing thing, than it is genuine genealogy.
Don't agree with this. They ''market'' most certainly, but as a genealogical tool I think it has benefits. But I accept you hold a different view :)

Scott, Cronin