Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 57041 times)

Offline angie29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I suppose you are aware that DNA testing is one type of evidence which is being used by an individual challenging his cousin's claim to an English title at the moment?

There are many cases written up in the scientific press that show that contamination is a problem, you may find out where the person doing the testing of your sample came from, but not your own origins.

I wouldn't trust any DNA test which wasn't taken professionally, and even then I'm not sure I'd be 100% certain, so many mistakes have been shown to have happened in the past.

My DNA was taken professionally as part of a medical university study as I carry a rare disease, but the professor still wants as many birth death and marriage records as possible as part of the study. DNA is not being used in isolation.

I would not spend money to have my DNA tested solely for the purposes of family research.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I started a thread on the DNA Forum some while ago.
It was titled "DNA Testing - Bunkum?"
(Or something similar - can't remember now)

Unfortunately, some people got rather heated over this discussion, and the whole thread was deleted!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline angie29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad

You surprise me.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Having a Welsh surname I don't need to be told about my ethnicity. Having tracked down and met quite a few relatives from wider family, many have Welsh skulls. Mind you, none of them live in Wales or want to know anything about it.

Beyond that, there is someone on here, and we keep in contact, whose ancestor could well have been brother to my greatgreatgrandfather. Neither of us have the readies at this time to have a DNA test done.

What's a Welsh skull?  :o

*looks in mirror

Oh yes, I could post photographs from my family, but won't. I have two second cousins  where I live now in Swindon. The elder one is a dead ringer for Henry VIII in his nasty years. Hislop described Henry VIII as quintessentialy English, nonsence, quintessentialy Welsh. Henry VII must have taken after his mother as I do after my mother. The other second cousin is c60, big, not fat, with full head of silver hair but was slim and dark when young.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately, some people got rather heated over this discussion, and the whole thread was deleted!

I think it got deleted because some people were not prepared to accept that other people had a different view to them and made some unpleasant comments. This was sad as there were some good observations if only people were prepared to go beyond their prejudices
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »

I know I'm a mongrel of many nations, as most of us are........ Nordic/Viking, Italian/Roman, Germanic, Celt, Irish, Scottish, French/Norman/Nordic.........you name a country, and we are part of it, basically.  Historically it's true, but I have no interest at all of finding out, let alone share it with a Newspaper, who can never guarantee our DNA security 100%, if that was our wish.

So no thank you, I'm happy to stay 'ignorant'.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:58 GMT (UK) »

I think it got deleted because some people were not prepared to accept that other people had a different view to them and made some unpleasant comments. This was sad as there were some good observations if only people were prepared to go beyond their prejudices

That's a pity, what's controversial about family history. I got quite excited at the suggestion for DNA'ing the whole population for police purposes. As long as FH related queries were allowed.

Trouble is, in my experience, most people are neither interested nor curious. Family is back to grandparents, period. I've had quite a few in my efforts to contact living family members. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Mark...I think you should have included a "Poll" on this topic too.."For" "Against" "Undecided" the statistics would have been interesting to see. People can vote anonymously that way too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't mind having my DNA testing done if it could prove more recent origins. I have relatives on Rootschat so perhaps we could have the tests done with that knowledge already known? Don't know if this makes sense or not?

What is a Welsh skull? I know you can recognise Irish folk from their head shape and eyes and hair colouring too.

My OH and I have just finished watching the whole series of The Vikings. We both have red curly hair and blue eyes in previous generations so maybe I will go and get a horned helmet as well. We both have Irish and Scottish ancestors apparently.

I'm not really that bloodthirsty though.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire