Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 57497 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I just recently received my results from Ancestry DNA.  As I am Canadian, I was pleased with my ethnicity results.  It confirmed that I was always right in saying I had more Irish in me then anything. 

I am a little disappointed by not getting any good matches to other DNA results with people on ancestry, but have been thinking about the idea of uploading my raw DNA to GEDmatch or Family tree DNA.  I would like to find more connections.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
All I know is I have ancestors from the UK, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Australia and New Zealand. I am not sure if there are other countries and am not able to afford a DNA test of any kind.
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
My mother, father and myself have all participated in Ancestry DNA.  I have had cousin matches to people in the USA (links to Somerset & Northumberland, England) and Australia (links to VDL and Surrey, England) that make sense to me. I follow my ancestors through and their siblings etc as much as can with evidence-based records or transcriptions.
We all inherit differing amounts of DNA from our ancestors, so that you may not get the same results as your parent.
Apparently my German father has strong links to several people in Louisiana, part of the Acadian diaspora of French people who emigrated to Nova Scotia and were exiled by the British in 1755, many who resettled in Louisiana.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
It's not something I've really given much thought too but I'm sure it has its place like everything else. I'm sure it wasn't that long ago when people said "I won't use the Internet to do any of my research".
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Mark, what are you planning to do with all the information after your article ? Will the article be the start and lead onto other things , what are your intentions ?

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I have tested with FTDNA really because I wanted to see if there wa any link between the groups with my surname in Devon and those in Norfolk over a 4-500 year timescale. I am not interested in the so-called ethnicity results because basically I think that they are a load of nonsense.
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Trystran a very interesting thread. You have heard our opinions. I would like to a ask what are your and Sarah`s views on this subject?

Jane ;)
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Is this about genetic DNA testing or Forensic DNA Testing? I wonder if people mix the 2

Hi David,

Can you explain the difference please as the comparison didn't cross my mind until I read your post?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:46 GMT (UK) »
In theory it sounds like a great idea, but, with such relatively small and US-centric databases to compare with, I don't really see any benefit in testing, other than to help extend the database and, being somewhat cynical when it comes to privacy and security (and not in relation to the US), its not something I would give priority too.  I also don't think it would tell me a great deal, if anything, about the brickwalls I have in my research.  And from personal experience with some distant relatives, I'm not that bothered about making contact with any others. :-X  It's also unlikely to tell me more than I already know about where some of my ancestors originated outside of the UK because of the limitations of the samples to compare with.  I already know I have French and Germanic ancestors from the paper trail, I just would like to know where my Germanic ancestor came from and testing isn't going to be able to tell me that.

Similarly, after a distant relative's experiences with the Family Finder test a few years back, I'm even more sceptical how accurate the tests may actually be.  Even if the results she received in relation to a known "relative" were accurate, it caused a consdierably amount of consternation between the two of them because in spite of the paper trail saying they were fourth cousins twice removed, the testing company were adamant that they couldn't be related as some evidence would show in the results.  That said, I've seen posted on RC since that these tests relating to finding relatives aren't much use after 4th or 5th cousins, which probably explains the results.  However, they were never told by the company at the time about this. :-\  They offered to re-test my relative's sample, but she had to pay again for this and chose not to waste any more money on it.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day