Author Topic: Elizabeth Colster/Collister  (Read 403 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Colster/Collister
« on: Wednesday 03 February 16 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help to sort out who Edward Yates/Yeates married on 13 March 1803, in Liverpool, Lancs.

I have a marriage register which shows Edward Yates (draper) married Elizabeth Colster by Banns at St Pauls of Liverpool.

I have found a baptism for an Elizabeth Collister, bn 17 Sept 1792, and baptised 11 Nov 1792. This is obviously not the correct person, as she would have been 10/11 at the time of marriage.

I have not been able to locate a birth/baptism for an Elizabeth Colster anywhere so far.

Any assistance would be very gratefully accepted.

A Chesters

See also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=735237.0 

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Colster/Collister
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »

13 Mar 1803 Marriage St.Paul's,  Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Edward Yeates   / Yates & Elizabeth Colsten/Colster

Eldest son William born 2nd August 1803 several baptisms St Peter Liverpool, Mother named as Elizabeth Collister on some records.
abode Upper Frederick Street, Liverpool.

Several Ancestry trees have marriage about 1802 for Elizabeth Collister 1782 & Edward Yates 1778 both born Liverpool.   

The only Edward Yeates I can find was Baptised 15 Sep 1778    St Sepulchre, Holborn, London Edward & Susanna and this seems unlikely.
No clear record for Elizabeth.
I checked Liverpool burials there were a couple of possibles in 1850s but seem to be others that were on 1851 census. My guess is that they died before 1841.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Colin, thanks for that.

This is where I am having my problems trying to go back. It seems that there is the usual problem of the priest writing down the name AS HE HEARD it, which of course could very easily be quite different to what the person was saying. I have tried the usual soundex attempts, but do not get any more results, which is interesting.

Again many thanks for your help and interest

AC

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 16 04:10 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you picked up on Henry Collister,
a mariner, he uses St Peter's for the baptism of his children in the 1770 onwards
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff, thank you very much for that information.

I had not seen Henry Collister at all.

The baptism I had found, which gave her an age of 10/11 at the date of marriage had parents of John and Phoebe, and was not considered due to the age.

I will have a search for Henry, and see what I can find.

Again, many thanks

AC