Author Topic: Groves - A place near Sutton / Hull  (Read 3438 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Groves - A place near Sutton / Hull
« on: Wednesday 03 February 16 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Day Roots Chatters

Does anyone know of a place called Groves?  There are several mentions of this place in the baptism records of Sutton in Holderness circa 1820 and also a reference in a census as a place of birth.

The GenUKI  "Where is it in Yorkshire?" pages do not list Groves and Google Maps don't know it either.

Thanks for reading this, any ideas appreciated.

Venelow
Canada

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Groves
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link:  http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25970

And from British History Online: 

Sutton (St. James)

SUTTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Sculcoatks, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing 6384 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 4450 acres, is bounded on the west by the river Hull, on whose bank is the village of Stoneferry. It includes Witham, LimeStreet, the Groves, and Somergangs, forming the northeastern suburbs of the town of Hull, and now part of the borough. Many of the most opulent merchants of Hull have residences in the neighbourhood. Two large spinning factories, and one for weaving cotton, have been erected in the Groves; the Flax and Cotton Mill Company here alone employ 2500 hands. There are ropemanufactories, glass-works, and ship-building yards, all on a very extensive scale. The village of Sutton is large and well built, and pleasantly situated on a gently-rising and salubrious eminence. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £98; patron and impropriator, H. Broadley, Esq. The church had a chantry of six priests, endowed by John of Sutton, and valued at the Dissolution at £13. 18. 8. per annum. A church, dedicated to St. Mark, was erected in 1841 at the Groves, containing 1058 sittings; it is in the pointed style, and cost about £5500. An ecclesiastical parish was annexed to this edifice in Aug. 1844, under the act 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37. The living is a perpetual curary, in the gift of the Crown and the Archbishop of York, alternately; net income, £220. In the village are two hospitals; one founded by Leonard Chamberlain, and rebuilt in 1800, for the maintenance of two aged widowers and eight widows; and the other erected in 1819, by the trustees of the late Mrs. Watson, for widows and daughters of clergymen. A house of White friars existed here in the time of Edward I.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Groves - A place near Sutton / Hull
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
You might find this of interest:

http://www.suttonandwawnemuseum.org.uk/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 16 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those ScobieDrom and Treetotal.

Now I know it was actually called the Groves and that a church was built there I have some clues to track down the location.

I guess it no longer exists as Google takes me to a street called The Groves in Hessle.
More digging required.

Venelow

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
St Mark in the Groves, as it's name suggest was on St Mark Street, Hull.  It was consecrated in 1844 and closed in 1948.  It was badly damaged during WW11 and was demolished 1958/9.  St Mark Street runs eastward from Cleveland Street.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've been trying to find an old map that confirms this, but I'm fairly sure that The Groves was more an area than a street.
It was in Drypool Ward, immediately north and east of North Bridge, running up to the double bend in the River Hull. The 1908 map shows Groves Mill at the start of that bend at the top of Lime Street.

The Groves included the sugarhouse at the bottom of Lime St  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-hull.html  [ and the terraces of houses my gt gt grandfather built at the start of Holderness Rd. :) ]

(Drypool Growths or Groves and Sculcoates Growths or Groves were further south against the Humber.)

I'll look further tomorrow.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 16 14:09 GMT (UK) »
'Evidences Relating to the Eastern Part of the City of Kingston-Upon-Hull' by Thomas Blashill, 1903 ...

<i>Early in the eighteenth century, Lime Street was called High Road to Stoneferry and Sutton. It ran close to the raised bank of the river, which left a width of some thirty or forty yards of grass between bank and stream. The local name for this space, covered only at the highest tides, was the Growths, or Groves.
For a quarter of a mile from Bridge-Foot the High Road ran past old enclosed lands on the right, that extended back in long strips as far as Summergangs Dike, where Dansom Lane was afterwards made. The Growths along the river, opposite each plot, belonged to the plot.
The suburb springing up was called Brick-Kilns. The whole district, which was afterwards called the Groves, was still reckoned to be in the Sutton portion of Drypool.</i>

The newspaper report of the collapse of the old sugarhouse and death of eight people in1868 gives the location as <i>Lime-street (Groves).</i>
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 16 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bee and Sugarbakers. Thank you very much for that information.

I was trying to find the church on an old map but was not getting very far. The family I am looking at had children baptized at Sutton St James between 1810 and 1823. For the first six the family lived in Nelson Street but the last three baptisms 1820 - 1823 show Groves as the abode. The father was a ship carpenter. In the 1851 census one of the children who was baptized when they lived at Nelson Street stated he was born at Groves. Obviously he didn't remember his very early life.

Having looked at St Marks Street on Google Earth and Street view I see that the area is very much industrial now but interestingly has a Hodgson Street which is the name of the family I was researching. Probably a coincidence.

Thanks again to all who answered.

Venelow
Canada

Offline shakyzen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all If I'm not mistaken the grove's was a very rough area around Jenning St, Lime St, upto Witham,
Cleveland st(sitwell st).I think my grandfather's family had Strakers.ginger beer shop down there.
There was School/ Church on the right hand corner of Jenning.st. An St Marks Church Down St Marks st both of which were my playgrounds just after the war.

shakyzen