Author Topic: Frances Holmes, b abt 1600, Beverley  (Read 6285 times)

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Frances Holmes, b abt 1600, Beverley
« on: Sunday 17 July 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, good morning from sultry Maryland, USA!!! I am looking for any information or anyone researching the Holmes family. My 8g grandfather was Frances Holmes who emigrated to the US prior to 1648 to CT. He was a blacksmith by trade. He was married twice- his first wife (name unknown) and he had these children that I know of: Stephen, Ann, John and Richard. John is my direct line. Hope to meet someone researching this family! Judy

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Holmes, b abt 1600, Beverley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 05 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My Holmes ancestors came from Beverley. They were blacksmiths.
What can you tell me about yours?
I don't go as far back as you.
I have Joseph Holmes born about 1834 Scsarborough he married Mary Teall.
They had nine children.
His father is William and his grandfather is Joseph.
Regards Sue...........
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 18:58 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear from you Sue! The common blacksmith occupation is interesting but since you only go back to 1834 and I don't have any information about Frances' family in England, I don't know if there is any connection. At least at this point. But I did check my Holmes children to see if I had any Williams or Josephs. I have 3 Josephs and no Williams.... Not that that means a whole lot. I wish I had some information to share with you about his life before he came to America but I don't........ Judy

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 05 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Judy & Sue,
I'd love to join in with your families but my Holmes ancestors , Thomas Henry and son George are giving me great difficulty in getting beyond the 1901 census.

Good luck to you both in your search

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 05 22:12 BST (UK) »
Judy, What can you give me on your Josephs I also have three of them?
Sue.................
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 05 01:42 BST (UK) »
Joseph Holmes I was the son of John Holmes ( my 7g grandfather) and Rachel Waterbury. The first Joseph Holmes I have was b 1683, Bedford, Westchester Co., NY, died 16 Jun 1741, Carmel, NY. Married about 1712 Joanna ?. She was born about 1686 in Bedford also. They had 3 children: Isaac ( my ancestor), Joanna, Joseph. Joseph, son of Joseph, was born 1718, Bedford, Westchester Co., NY, died Oct 1809. Married about 1748, Deborah Clark. She was born 1723, Bedford, Westchester Co., NY. Died 23 Nov 1763. They had several children: Deborah, Esther, Sarah, Lydia, Joseph, Jeremiah, Nathan. Joseph III b 1758, Bedford, Westchester Co., NY. That's all I have for my Josephs. What about your 3? Judy

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 05 02:27 BST (UK) »
Good luck to you too, Bee! Judy

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 July 05 06:49 BST (UK) »
Morning Judy,
Well here are mine:-
Joseph Holmes bn North Cave Yorks 1834 married Mary Teall
Joseph Holmes bn 1875 Hull parent's William and Caroline(Winn)
Joseph Holmes born 1888 in Beverley parent's Horatio and Sar(Clarkson).
Dosn't look like we have a connection, maybe I might have with someone else.
Good luck
Regards Sue............... ;)

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 July 05 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Sue.... I wish there was a connection. Some similarities but not enough to say Yippeeee! I wish you luck in your search. Take care, Judy