Author Topic: Looking for Duncan Buchanan and Barbara Peace  (Read 2309 times)

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Duncan Buchanan and Barbara Peace
« on: Friday 05 February 16 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the ancestors of my 2x G Grandmother Elizabeth Taylor (Betsy)  Brodie  who was born in Stronsay in 1837.
Her parents were  John Brodie ( 1803- 1881 Stronsay Orkney) and Elizabeth Folsetter Buchanan (1809-1869) ., So far for Elizabeth I have found one sibling - Oliver Buchanan and parents Duncan Buchanan and Barbara Peace (both died before 1878)
I cant find a marriage nor births for either Duncan nor Barbara. - Has anyone else found anything on these two??
Goodwin, Middlebrook, Farrer, Mclellan,Poole,Bavin

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Duncan Buchanan and Barbara Peace
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where Elizabeth and her brother Oilver were born?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Not what you are looking for but the Folsetter name caught my eye -

"Fol - (or Ful) A Norse word for a flow or swamp.
Setter - An enclosure or fenced in area (a farm)
The origin of the Folster name is believed to be from the farm called Folsetter in the parish of Birsay on the Main island of Orkney Islands of Scotland. If you obtain a map of Orkney, you will most likely find it on there. The name first appears in the census reports in the mid 1400's. The original name,  Folsetter, would have been pronounced in Orkney as Fols'tter, thus accounting for the modern spelling. You may also see variations such as Fulsetter and  Fulster. In North America, you will invariably see it as Folster.

If you check the Orkney census reports, you will find that no Folsters ever inhabited the farm called Folsetter. Instead it was mostly inhabited by the Spence family. The common theory about the origin of the name is that those who left the farm would have taken the name of that place to differentiate themselves from all the other Spences of Scotland.  (Spence is after all, a very common Scottish name). For example, a man named George who moved away from the Folsetter farm might have called himself George of Folsetter, as was the common practice in the 1400's in Europe."
http://www.folster.org/origin.html
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
A few ideas:

1) Do you have a copy of Elizabeth F Buchanan's death registration? (Assuming you do but always best to check.) And her brother's?  Did he die in 1878? Is that how you know her parents were dead by then? The death registrations will name her parents though they might not be correct depending on who the informant was.

2) There is a Duncan Buchanan death 1 Aug 1825 in Stronsay on ScotlandsPeople. The full register entry may tell you very little more but you should check it just in case.

3)  Oliver is not that common a name in Orkney and on a quick look at Familysearch baptisms I noted three couples in Sanday where the father was an Oliver Peace (or possibly one Oliver was married more than once). There is a Barbara Peace child of Oliver Peace and Margaret Drummond in baptised in 1797 but that Barbara would be rather young to have a child herself in 1809. Inter-island marriages did happen and Sanday and Stronsay are not all that far apart so it may be worth checking out these people on ScotlandsPeople. This might be a tangent of course.

4)  Elizabeth's middle name is unusual, particularly outside the Orkney mainland, and may contain a clue. William Folsetter and Ann Taylor having children baptised in Stronsay 1800s, 1810s too. Significant? Neighbours? Related?

5) Does John Brodie and Elizabeth Buchanan's marriage record give any additional information about parents, or names of witnesses or cautioners?

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 16 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments
Yes I have both the death record of Eliza and Oliver - in fact both parents were deceased before Elizabeths death in 1869. I suspect the 1825 death mentioned in the earlier post probably is Duncan - there are no details listed except he died in August aged about 60.
I only have the birth of Oliver in Stronsay . I have no record of the birth of Eliza(beth) but know she was 58 when she died in 1869.

There are some birth records for other Buchanan children with father Duncan in the early 1800s - Sarah and George with mother Jean Taylor . I wonder if this was Duncans first wife but as I said there appears no marriage records at all for Duncan and Barbara nor Duncan and Jean .
I have looked in vein for connections to the Folsetter family but nothing obvious leaps out at me - there seems to be swathes of records missing which is frustrating
Goodwin, Middlebrook, Farrer, Mclellan,Poole,Bavin

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 February 16 18:06 GMT (UK) »
there,s a marriage on 22/7/1820 for Duncan Buchanan to Margaret Drever, possibly his third wife ??in Stronsay
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young