Author Topic: Have you ever..felt a little uncomfortable..  (Read 16266 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever..felt a little uncomfortable..
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Like PF , I am compiling a record not a judgement. I once put it that we don't own what our ancestors did. If we celebrate the good that they did then we also must accept the bad.

Are you reading this my precious descendants ;) :)

Yes, same, compiling a record, not a judgement.   May I offer a possible solution to the dilemma.  I do up a SCAN DELL sheet perhaps each quarter and send it out to the older generation of my living relatives (so to around 20 or so at the moment, born between 1910 and 1928) .... I fill it up with newspaper cuttings gleaned from the free to search Australian National Library's website TROVE and from the New Zealand's Paper's Past (another great free to search website).    I find the oddest cuttings that amuse me and which I think will amuse them too.   Some of the cuttings will be about long gone ancestors actions (a divorce, a land application, a quarrel with a neighbour over property, a casualty list from WWI and the like).  Some of the cuttings will be about the localities of their own childhoods, and some are just quirky things that I collect along the way.    Consequently the oldies love it,  they phone each other up, chat about various cuttings, phone me, pass on comments, I get to learn who was who, who was not 'shacked up' with who, who was bridesmaid, flower girl, who wanted to be same, etc, and I can ask the most indelicate questions and get their best responses, as their memories are stimulated by these sheets.   

Here's an amusing cutting, everyone reading the SCAN DELL sheet loved it.... (and there's been several threads at RChat about the cutting)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2177629 13 Dec 1817 Sydney Gaz

Enjoy, and hopefully you will find a way to gently introduce the uncomfortable info to the family ... you might be surprised at who already 'knew' but had not been focusing on that knowledge.  :)

Re living relatives and uncomfortable info.   There's many a family history group that has ethics policies.  It is a no no to provide information about living people to others if that info could cause upset.   I will look up and be back, I think I have a link to a large association of family history groups and their Ethics statement. 

BACK

http://www.gsv.org.au/images/stories/Forms/Ethics.pdf

"Be sensitive to the hurt that revelations of criminal, immoral,
bizarre or irresponsible behaviour may bring to family members;"

http://www.gsv.org.au/   The Genealogical Society of Victoria

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Is "selective history" worth recording ??

Regards

Malky

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Its not the recording its the reporting that can be selective
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:34 GMT (UK) »
David
               Honestly can't remember...but this one did stick in my mind..as most of my ancestors
belonged to "that class"

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:36 GMT (UK) »
"its the reporting that can be selective"

But to whom. If one reports selective facts, then it's not accurate. Therefore, it's not history, it's a pretence of history.

Regards

Malky

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Maybe that's just a glimpse Malky!  😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Once again I will not report sensitive information to living family members. It doesn't mean it is censored or not reported...its not reported now
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:43 GMT (UK) »
  Most of the reports I have passed on..drunkeness-fighting-assaulting sheriff's officers with pokers..
have been accepted..but when it comes to..charges of rape..though aquitted..I myself, feel a
little uneasy.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I suppose it all depends on how long ago your ancestors lived.  If the one doing something that others might find uncomfortable lived in the 17/1800s I don't see a problem.  It's only a problem if the person was alive in the 20th century as far as I'm concerned.  For instance, I know my grandfather was discharged from the army in 1906 direct to an asylum, apparently a lunatic who was dangerous to himself or others (Army Regulations), but although I sent the details of his early life to my elderly aunt (his one remaining child), I missed out the fact that he was discharged to an asylum or why.  After she died, I did tell her daughter.  As he was killed on a motor cycle in 1926 when on a perfectly straight road in the countryside, he ran into a tree, no-one alive ever knew him so I don't mind giving his full history now.  (Was his death deliberate I wonder, a newspaper report at the time states "how the accident occurred has not yet been definitely ascertained", and I've not been able to find any further information.