Author Topic: Halberton baptism - Susannah Didham  (Read 1247 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halberton baptism - Susannah Didham
« on: Saturday 06 February 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism on the FHL for "Susannah James Baker Didham" b.11 May 1837 Halberton, Devon mother: Mary Didham.

There was a marriage in Stepney 20 Dec 1863 of William Henry Stuttle and Susannah Didham spinster, father: William Didham farmer.

I have followed her through the censuses, several of which show her born in Halberton so I'm fairly sure she must be the same person. In the 1851 & '61 she was with her widowed mother Mary, but I haven't found her in the 1841.

The puzzling bit is the inclusion of "James Baker" in her name on the baptism transcript. I am wondering if it is an error, possibly copied from the previous line, or if James was Susannah's father :-\ If the latter, where does William Didham fit in?

As the image does not seem to be available online I am wondering if anyone has access to the original to see if we can make sense of the name.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Halberton baptism - Susannah Didham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Re: fathers name on marriage cert.  Many illegitimate children made up a fathers name when they married so as to appear "respectable".  In some cases it was a totally fictitious name and in some it was the name of a family member (eg) grandfather/uncle etc

Suspect James Baker may be her biological father if the names are confirmed
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 February 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW, I was thinking along those lines. The only complication was that there was an older (by 6 years) sister living with her and her mother in 1851. It occured to me that maybe William was Mary's husband but perhaps he died before Susannah was conceived  :-\

If nothing comes of this I will try a deeper search for William . . . and for James

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Is this the right 1851 entry? 

Somebody called Hollie Adams has notified a correction to the 1851 entry surname which is transcribed as Didlam but has not amended the christian name which is Savan rather than Susannah.  All Didhams b Halberton

Mary Ann Didham  57
Jane  19
Savan (Susannah)  13
Plus lodgers both b Taunton
Sarah Mead    22
Emma Mead    1
HO107 Piece 1923 Folio 86 Page 4
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Other possible children born to William & Mary all in Halberton - see Family Search

John 1818
Elizabeth 1819
Ann b 1820 bapt 1821
Charlotte & Robert 1828
Eliza 1829
Benjamin 1834
Samuel 1836

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's the one I found for 1851. I think the original may actually be "Susan", but it does look a bit like "Savan" so an excusable error.

Thanks for the baptism entry for Jane, don't know how I missed that  :-[  It certainly looks as if William was Mary's husband. Just need to find out whether he or James was Susannah's father  :-\

Oh, wow! just seen your latest. Thank you for that. As you can probably tell I have only just started researching this bit of my tree  ::) You've given me a kick-start  8)

Mike.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin Didham is a visitor in his brother Robert's household in 1851 - living in Glamorgan

Robert is back in England in 1861

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW

With your prompting I have now found 11 probable siblings for Susannah . . . no wonder her father died  ;D

It is Susannah's husband I am related to so I'm not really looking any further than her siblings in that line, but I do like to complete the immediate family. It sort of rounds things off.

I'm still interested if anyone has access to the original baptism register, or the FHL film, to see if James Baker is a red herring . . .

Mike.