Author Topic: William McCLURE, born c1836, Isle of Man  (Read 2038 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William McCLURE, born c1836, Isle of Man
« on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

William McCLURE according to Mona's Herald of August 1848 was aged 12 when he was sentenced on 08/08/1848 to transportation for 10 years.   In fact the sentence was commuted and he was eventually released on licence from Portland Prison on 31/10/1857.   The notes produced by the TNA under Reference: PCOM 3/70/7389 relating to the release were annotated by the single word "DEAD". ???

Unfortunately, I have been unable to retrieve any other information for him and am hoping someone can help fill in the gaps between 1836 and 1857, especially the "DEAD" reference.

My thanks

BAC3

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William McCLURE, born c1836, Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 16 00:32 GMT (UK) »
might be worth getting some credits for findmypast,theres lots of prison records on there about this man.He was in Pentonville and Portland after escpaing fron prison in Isle of Man 1852
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I have downloaded the findmypast details but, sadly, nothing of a family nature available.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that you have been looking for a few years now!

Similar posts on other forums:
Manx Genealogy on Isle of Man.com (2010)
Ancestry Message Boards (2010)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)