Author Topic: St Margaret, Ipswich, Marriage 1808 MIDDLEDITCH look up please  (Read 1324 times)

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Margaret, Ipswich, Marriage 1808 MIDDLEDITCH look up please
« on: Sunday 07 February 16 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Back on the Middleditch trail, or maybe that should be trial  ::)   

Findmypast have a marriage for a William MIDDLEDITCH to a Mary CORK taking place in St Margarets, Ipswich on 16 May 1808.  This is from the Suffolk Marriage Index.

As it will be some time before I am likely to get to SRO, would SKS have access to the original entry to double-check the details for me please - am hoping that Cork is mistranscribed and is in fact COCK or COCKS.  In which case this might one of the marriages I've been trying to track down.

It doesn't help that Mary appears to have had two sons prior to this, one by someone else entirely.  Also, this is the only time I've found them, if it is them, in Ipswich.   Does anyone know whether St Margarets was particularly used by soldiers at this time?

Thank you
Helen

Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Margaret, Ipswich, Marriage 1808 MIDDLEDITCH look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Ipswich St Margarets parish register

Wm Middleditch of this parish
and Mary Cork of the same, both single
Married in this church by banns 16th day of May 1808
Both made their mark X
In presence of Jas. (Holloday?) and some other writing which I could not decipher
and Buckingham Bugg Snr (who seemed to witness most of the marriages at this time)

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St Margaret, Ipswich, Marriage 1808 MIDDLEDITCH look up please
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annes for looking for me, very much appreciated.

Looks like it might be one of the other William Middleditchs then, as far as I'm currently aware neither 'my' William or Mary were from/had family connections to Ipswich, and I haven't come across a Holloday or similar name.  The only reason I thought it might possibly be them was William was  in the Militia and may have been stationed in Ipswich at that time, and they had a son baptised in the August that year, which would have been a reason to marry.

Thank you again.

Helen

ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: St Margaret, Ipswich, Marriage 1808 MIDDLEDITCH look up please
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 February 16 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Completed - thank you