Author Topic: Child Migrants to USA - How did Kerenhappuch Wootton get to USA before 1847?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 ??? Keren-Happuch Wootton lived in Tring Hertfordshire, England in 1841 aged 9 years. By October 1847 she was in Michigan marrying, aged 15 a Moses W Boyd aged 28, born in Canada. I have her father and two brothers still in England in 1851 etc. I believe her mother had died in 1842. But I can't find her two sisters either, Jane 12 and Margaret 14 in Tring 1841 again. I have checked Ancestry and Find My Past with no luck. Any help please, I would be so grateful. Thankyou.
paslwigr

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Child Migrants to USA - How did Kerenhappuch Wootton get to USA before 1847?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
While you are looking for the Wooton's, as I was trying to find information about Keren, I found the following about the Boyd's.  Perhaps you already have this information, but I wanted to pass it along in case there might be any leads obtained from it.  :-\

1850 Lockport, Will, Illinois Census
M W Boyd, born c 1820, Labourer, Canada
Kerenhappuch, age 18, England
Jane, 1, Illinois

1850 Lockport, Will, Illinois (possibly Moses' family members?)
John W? Boyd, age 23, Labourer, Canada
Elizabeth ", age 16, New York (possibly John's wife?)
Anna Boyd, age 43, Canada (Could Anna be Moses' mother?)
Joseph ", age 14, Canada
Betsy ", age 11, Canada
Wm T ", age 8, Michigan

1860 Bath, Mason, Illinois
Moses, age 41, Wagon Maker, Canada
"Kerronabuck", age 27, England
Children: William, Margaret J, George, Mary, Charles
All children born in Illinois except for William who was born in Michigan

1860 Lockport, Will, Illinois
John Boyde, age 28, Labourer, Canada
John was living with Horace Morse and others.  Horace's occupation: Hotel - perhaps John was living in a hotel.

1870 Bath, Mason, Illinois
M W Boyd, age 50, Works on Farm, Canada
Keren H, age 38, Keeping House, England
Children:  George E., Mary A., Charles F, Harriet E, Martha F

Illinois Veterans Index
Moses W Boyd, born c1822, Canada, Mechanic
Service Entry Date:  15 Aug 1862
Residence Place:  Bath, Mason Co., IL

Illinois Veterans Index
Morris W Boyd, born c1820, Canada, Blacksmith
Birthplace:  Haut, Kent, Canada (Haut-Kent, New Brunswick?)
Service Entry Date:  12 Aug 1862
Residence Place:  Bath, Mason Co., IL

Illinois Veterans Index
John N Boyd, born c1828, Carpenter
Birthplace:  Howard, Canada (New Brunswick, possibly?)
Service Entry Date:  11 December 1861
Residence Place:  Joliet, Will Co., IL

Illinois Veterans Index
William T Boyd, born c1841, Boatman
Birthplace:  Howard, Canada (New Brunswick, possibly?)
Service Entry Date:  11 December 1861
Residence Place:  Joliet, Will Co., IL

Perhaps Moses was born in New Brunswick?

It's just a guess, but I wonder if Keren sailed to Canada and arrived in America either with the Boyd's or with her sisters?  I will continue to have a look around tonight.  In the meantime, perhaps someone else may find something helpful.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Child Migrants to USA - How did Kerenhappuch Wootton get to USA before 1847?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 02:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1900 Bath, Illinois census shows that she immigrated in 1840.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS4K-FYH

Note:  I've run across incorrect information for immigration years, so it can be assumed she did immigrate during that year, but I wouldn't limit the search to just 1840.

Are there any "missing" aunts or uncles of the three girls who left England for either Canada or America and possibly took the girls with them?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 03:56 GMT (UK) »
paslwigr - Please be more specific about the question you hope to answer.

Are you asking mode of transport and or potential migration route that took her from England to Michigan?

Or are you inquring about the circumstances surrounding her migration?

I've done a lot of research on my Scottish and Finnish ancestors who migrated to Michigan in the 19th century as well as work on my New York ancestors who moved to Michigan circa 1820. I can better help you if you ask very specific questions.
RESEARCH INTERESTS
---------------------------

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Scotland - Nairnshire, Rose (Alex>Alex>David (1846-1912) and Fraser
--------------------------------

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you have middle names for Sarah and Margaret?

A Jane Wootton B 1819 England arrived New York 1846, ship name was James. The imaged passenger manifest is free. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVRQ-H3Z2

Try this multi-website search engine for immigration records in U.S. and Canada. Searching is free. Some of your hits will be pay sites. The search engine creator is a hobby genealogist but his profession is computer scientist. The search engine is really excellent.  http://stephenmorse.org/

Here is free search for NY Castle Garden. http://castlegarden.org/searcher.php

Some migrants whose destination was Canada entered via Boston or New York. My Scottish and Finnish ancestors came through both NY and Boston. If Kerren entered via New York, she had to enter at Castle Garden because Ellis Island didn't open until about 1890.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 11:10 GMT (UK) »
To Lisa in California,
I have all the US census entries for Moses W Boyd and Kerenhappuch and family, but I hadn't looked for other Boyds, probably relatives of Moses. But not the Veteran's Index. Thankyou for that.
Because Keren said she had arrived 1840, I assumed she had emigrated just after the Census of 6th June 1841 in Tring Hertfordshire, England, as so young, 9 or 10 years old she wouldn't have been sure of the date, fifty odd years later. I don't know of any Wootton relatives other than her sisters Jane born 1824 and Margaret born 1826 who she could have travelled with. I also wondered if she/they arrived in Canada first, but have found no evidence.
To Minnesotan
Keren's sisters were Jane & Margaret, they had no middle names as I have their baptisms in Sedgley Parish Church Staffordshire, England. I will check the imaged passenger manifest on Family Search, and the other sites you suggested.
My questions are (1)When did she leave England after 6th June 1841 and before she married Moses Boyd in 1847 in Michigan. (2) The potential migration route which took her from England to Michigan. The why I can only surmise, her mother died, her father left with another woman and had set up home with her In Bangor Caernarvonshire, Wales by 1847, so that's not a question. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
 :-[Apologies to Lisa in California & Minnesotan
Re Kerenhappuch Wootton's journey to USA her sisters were. Jane born 1826 and Margaret born 1830. Not as I stated in my replies to the two kind people above.
paslwigr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 February 16 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Kerenhappuch Wootton's journey to USA her sisters were. Jane born 1826 and Margaret born 1830.

This is really stretching it, but is there a chance that Jane (or Margaret) also married young?  Perhaps Jane married some time after 1841, and her husband wanted to settle in Canada or America?  Could she/would she have taken her sisters with her?

May I ask how you found out that Keren married in 1847, please?  If you have a marriage certificate, were there any witnesses to the marriage (which may provide a clue)?   :-\

PS  Have you searched the 1850 Lockport census for a "married" Jane or a Margaret (born in England) with the same years of birth as your Jane and Margaret?  Update:  Or, if you know the Michigan town in which Keren was married, searched that town's 1850 census for Jane and/or Margaret?

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 February 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I believe this is your Keren's christening record. 

Keren Happersh Wotton; 27 Dec 1835 christened Sedgely, Stafford, Parents, John and Mary Wotton

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N8R5-YRZ

You said her sisters Jane and Margaret were also christened at Sedgely, so this must be your Keren.

In light of Keren's revised birth year (1835 and not 1832), if she did come to the U.S. in 1840, she was just 5 years old which means she did not come over alone.

You said you think Keren's mother Mary died about 1842. If you don't have very specific death or burial for Mary, my hunch is that Keren's parents' marriage broke down and mother Mary took daughters Kerren, Jane and Margaret to the U.S.

Also, what information causes you to believe Keren was married to Moses and living in Illinois by 1847?
RESEARCH INTERESTS