Author Topic: Men with the first name Henshall/Henshaw (Moss, Ravensroft, Stubbs and Heath)  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am fairly new to family history, though, so whilst I am trying to be thorough and meticulous about details, I apologise if my verifying seems sloppy by more experienced standards.

I have been researching my family tree and my husbands family tree. I came across a Henshall Heath as one of his great-uncles, and though it was a fairly unusual name. I had a look on BMD and there were a couple of other Henshall Heath's so I figured it was a family name.

Recently it popped up again in the Thornley family, who had married into a different branch of his family, which caught my attention. I did a BMD search for anyone with the first name Henshall and noticed they were all from Lancashire, Staffordshire or Cheshire, and often had the same surname (such as Moss), or surnames that were already in his family tree (such as Stubbs, Collier and Ravenscroft). The Ravenscroft caught my attention because my original Henshall Heath's mother's name was Frances Ravenscroft, and I realised that she had a brother named Henshall Ravenscroft (the first in a line of four).

It seems to me likely that a number of the other Henshall's are also related to my husband, and can probably be linked back to a single ancestor. Via some googling I discovered this http://www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/elizabeth-henshaw_10307074 on Ancestry. Whilst I am not sure how verified it is it shows a number of Henshaw and Henshalls across multiple generations and surnames, all linking back to a Roger Henshawe born in 1636. In particular it involves a number of people named Henshall Moss who seem to be the family referred to here: http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/761.htm.

What's more I think I *may* have found a link between that family and the Ravenscroft family through the Bibbey family, but I am cautious on assuming.

I just wondered if anyone else had done any research on, or come across any, Henshalls or Henshaws, and, had any information which might help me make some links?

Thanks

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Men with the first name Henshall/Henshaw (Moss, Ravensroft, Stubbs and Heath)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't get too carried away with just finding people with the same name and assuming there is a link. We all know names go in fashions, so Henshaw/Henshall may have just been an 'in' name in the area at one time.
I'm not saying they aren't all related, they may well be, but methodical research one step at a time is always the way to go, then if it leads you to someone with that name then so be it. It is all too easy to try and make the research fit, if you grab at a name and then try to establish an assumed link.
As you extend your tree(s) you may suddenly find the other Henshaw all fitting in somewhere.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Men with the first name Henshall/Henshaw (Moss, Ravensroft, Stubbs and Heath)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Oh absolutely, I completely agree, that was my point.

It is *possible* that more of the Henshalls/Henshaws are linked into my tree, but I don't want to make an assumption. That was my point in asking if anyone else had any information on a Henshall or Henshaw, in case it did link up.

Basically I am using the name as another route of enquiry, it might pan out (as it did with the Ravenscroft Henshalls- and I would never have unlocked that part of my tree without that name as a clue), or it might not.

But I completely agree, I won't be adding people without being first satisfied that there is more evidence than the name.

Offline Rob Moss

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors called Henshall Moss and I believe I can trace the origin of the name in my family.

Offline Ellalaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 March 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
I dont think there is any harm at all researching an unusual first name. One of my ancestors is a Defiance. Looking into that name opened up much of my research into that line and I discovered many cousins with whom I'm still in touch. Obvs do your evidence finding but enjoy 😀 p.s. I'm an honorary Stokie. Hope your getting somewhere with your Potters ancestry x
Romany Gypsies, Holland, Orchard, Penfold, Smith all from West Country or travelling in Usa
Sussex Bargemen, Scutts, Warners of Pulborough, Sussex
Durham and Scotland, Harvey, Stoddart