Author Topic: Mary Jane Tilley /Tilly c1876 Gateshead Durham  (Read 3188 times)

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Tilley /Tilly c1876 Gateshead Durham
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Update - to be doubly sure !! I ordered Mary Jane's birth cert. She was born 27 Nov 1877 at Stargate Ryton to Ann Atkinson and Edward Tilly  ;D   All sorted thanks for your advice  :-*

Offline Mave Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The one that married Thomas Atthey was my grandmother , they had a daughter Eleanor who was my mother .

Offline Mave Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Uncertain if message has posted , the one that married Thomas Atthey was my grandmother . They had several children including my mother Eleanor . I was born 1946 and later adopted . Their history goes back to a dwelling in Claypath in Durham city . I believe my mother was living in Durham city when she died around 1980 ?

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 January 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mave,
I have my great grandparents Thomas (1873 – 1950) and Mary Jane (1877 – 1948) as marrying March 7th 1903 Gateshead, Durham - parish church Greenside -father John deceased. Witnesses John G Gladders & Frances Atthey. Thomas is a banksman of Madgin Row Tanfield source DRO

They had children Lilian 1903, John 1904, Edward 1906, Matthew 1908, Annie/Nancy 1909, Thomas 1910 who died 1910, Thomas 1911, Catherine 1914 died 1914, Isabella 1915 (my grandmother died 1994), Eleanor/Nellie 1917, Kathleen 1920 died 1921, and Mary 1922 died 1927.

So Eleanor:
Baptisms, Lanchester District - Record Number: 947925.0 Location: Stanley Church: Primitive Methodist Circuit Denomination: Methodist 3 Jun 1917 Eleanor Atthey of 4 New Houses, Tanfield, born 1-Apr 1917, child of Thomas Atthey (banksman) & Mary Jane     source DRO

Due to dates after censuses, it’s been harder to track people, but currently in my tree,  where I added notes ‘to be confirmed’ (and I’m happy to be corrected) I have her marriage as:

Name   Eleanor C
Date of Registration   1952 - Apr-May-Jun[1952]
Registration district   Durham Eastern
Inferred County   Durham
Spouse   Walter
Volume Number   1a
Page number   521
   Athey, Armstrong - 1a 521
Household Members   Name   Age
Walter Armstrong   
Eleanor C Athey   

I have nothing more on those two except a possible daughter Mavis born about 1940 but no evidence. An aunt gave me some info a long time ago, so don’t know if this was from her. So, is Mavis you? I obviously have the dob wrong, and it seems to be before the marriage. That sounds rather crude sorry when written down; I don’t mean to be offensive, just giving you the info I currently have so we can clarify things. Like I said, I’m very happy to be corrected on anything. It would make you my first cousin 1x removed I think. It’ll be great if we are connected!

Best regards,
Catherine Maria nee Salkeld

Offline Mave Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 January 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
hello Catherine , yes I am mavis born December !946 , I was seventy this year . Going back to the eighties I came to Tanfield with my husband and stayed with Bella Selkeld , had already met Joan and Mary , but we have since lost touch , or people have died . She was a lovely lady my Auntie bella wished she could have brought me up as she wanted to . Excuse any mistakes please , but so lovely to see this and have had a little cry its so lovely . Looked into Mary Jane a few years ago and brought me to a residence on Claypit in Durham city where they had lived . Was also in touch with Norris Atthey , he had done a lot of work on a family tree and had a vague idea of me . All the best in your research , its a great name to research isn't it Atthey very unusual . P.S my mother had died four years before I made contact and was living in Durham city ? Mave xx

Offline Mave Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 January 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
A little more as confused , Are you saying Eleanor married a Walter ? That may be wrong , as not heard that from anyone . Was always told she was in a mental hospital in Sedgefield ? For many years , would not happen today im sure . So if Auntie Bella is your gran who is your mum please ? Once again Mave x

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 January 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again cousin!
So interesting! The marriage has to be wrong then, particularly as in my own notes I had a death for an EA in 1979 Durham Central. I should have taken more notice of it as the birth date was the same. So were you born Mavis Atthey? Were you an only child? I really hope your adoption was a good one. I've been looking for Armstrong so no wonder I couldn't find anything! Very sad for your mum. I know quite little about my Gran Bella other than infancy (we lived away as my dad was army); bathing me when we stayed, singing like Hilda Ogden, standing in front of the open fire range with her skirt pulled up to warm her bot! and her fabulous baking. She was deaf and I loved her loads as she was so gentle. She got terrible dementia early on. My granddad was a fearsome man with a temper who shouted or was silent with a pipe. He let me watch him wet-shave and choose his horses though and we won a lot. My dad was her son Thomas b1943 married to my mum a Huddersfield / Irish girl Mary. Mum is 73 and has just gone into a care home as she has Lewy Bodies dementia and my dad lives in Stanley (they divorced a long time ago). Dad's sisters Mary and Joan are still going strong though I don't really keep in touch as me and my dad fell out many years ago and I avoid the area. I could send a message for you to them via cousins?
A bit puzzled with the Claypath area as all the censuses have MJ at Tanfield or Ryton. Wonder if they lived there in between. I was amazed that when I remarried and moved here to Ryton from Stanley to find out that Mary Jane was born literally 5 minutes from where I live now.
Norris A is totally new to me. Take care xx

Offline Mave Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 January 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for update , yes I see your dad was Bella's son , I hadn't heard of him . I won't make contact now as its water under the bridge as they say. I have a girl in oz and one in Dorset and a son in Hudderfield . Im on face book as mave buchanan , should be easy to find . Norris Atthey is quite famous for grey Squirrels ? Yes he killed one / If you google the name you will find him somewhere in Northumberland now but came from Kyo ? Knew  a bit about my mum . From what I gather was some fierce type men in the family all miners I believe , so maybe that's why they were less than perfect husbands . Heard a lot about my uncle Tommy ? My adoptive parents lived in High westwood just down the road from Consett , died years ago , an only very lonely child . Anyway that's all I can tell now . My mum was working in  laundry and living with a partner when she died . Auntie bella was running all over the place when I last saw her shame she got ill with that awful decease. Mave x