Author Topic: Searching for great grandad Pickthall  (Read 3891 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for great grandad Pickthall
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
you say you have the marriage certificate of James & Hannah. How old are they both on that and who are named as their fathers and their occupations

Offline tookie9293

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage banns for my grandparents, Edith Haley-Whitely and Ralph Henry Pickthall, November 1919, Leeds Yorkshire.  James Wilson Pickthall is listed as deceased and was a contractor.  Did James change his age as time went on?  Don't know.  Trying to locate the banns from Hampshire for James and Hannah.  I love a mystery. 

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 14:55 GMT (UK) »
there are some interesting articles about the death of May Pickthall in 1887. There is a long article in one paper if you have access to the Southampton papers. Otherwise a short version can be found by googling Hannah. There is another article available about her suicide. Reading between the lines it sounds like after each child Hannah suffered what today would be diagnosed as severe post natal depression.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:05 GMT (UK) »
i think we have found the correct family...just my opinion. Ages on censuses are not to be relied on..and even ages on marriage certificates can be wrong,,,as people tried to make themselves younger,,or older.  As pointed out,,in the census alone he is b 1852..1854...and 1849.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
another article has James (clerk of works) being declared bankrupt in Brighouse in 1892

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »
just for researchers info

Name:   Ralph Henry Pickthall - compositor
Birth Year:   abt 1890
Marriage or Bann Date:   22 Nov 1919
Parish:   Buslingthorpe, St Michael, Yorkshire, England
Spouse:   Edith Whiteley (widow)
Father:   James Wilson Pickthall - contractor (deceased)
Spouse Father:   William Haley - butcher (deceased)

on James marriage to Mary Kenworthy he names his father as John but no image available for more details

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
has anyone found him in the 1891 census ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
in 1881  he is with an Elizabeth,,,which would tie up with the marriage to Elizabeth Jackson.

1881 census
?, Midsomer-Norton, Clutton, Somerset, England

James Wilson   Pickthell   Head   1849   General Contractor   Dalton, Lancashire
Elizabeth   Pickthell   Wife      1857      Cumberland, England   
Fred W   Pickthell   Son      1878      Blackburn, Cumberland
Bessie   Woodland      1869   General Servant   

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm with lancsann - there is only one James Wilson Pickthall born in the relevant period.   In 1851 and 1861 John and Bridget give his birthplace as Dalton but in 1871 they state it is Lendal which is what James himself gives as his birthplace is 1901!!

It sounds like you do not have the marriage details when he married Hannah Jackson in 1885 Hampshire.   You need to know these details to correctly work your way back.

Certainly, the one married to Elizabeth Jackson in 1876 and the one married to Mary Phillipa Kenworthy are the same man even though online marriage records gives his father as Joseph W. in 1876 and John for the latter.   His marriage certificate to Hannah will confirm occupations of both him and his father and hopefully that his father is indeed John.

In 1871 when John, Bridget and family are back in Dalton John's occupation has changed from carpenter to that of a Dock and Harbour Inspector.   James is a Draughtsman Modelmaker which lead on nicely to his occupation in 1881 (and thereafter) as a General Contractor (Engineering).

In 1881 (in Midsomer Norton, Somerset) he has a 3 year old son Fred W. (Frederick William birth Dec.1877 Blackburn).   His wife Elizabeth is shown bc.1857 Cumberland and there is death of an Elizabeth Pickthall bc.1857 died Mar.1885 Taunton.   If this is she he wasted no time in remarrying to Hannah Jackson in Sept.qtr.1885 South Stoneham.   I wonder if there were further children born to he and Elizabeth between 1881 and 1885??

So frustrating not to be able to locate James and family in 1891 Census.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk