Author Topic: Lee - Rose connections  (Read 850 times)

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lee - Rose connections
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm a Lee descendant with little knowledge.  I have asked in various place over the past few years but so far no one has been able to find my relatives.  I have my great grandfathers marriage cert that says he was born in Newcastle NSW Australia, came to NZ and married in 1882. There is no record of him in Australia or his parents except for when his wife filed a missing person report in 1908 in NSW so that she could remarry here in NZ.
Henry Arthur LEE, b. 1856 in Newcastle NSW. 
Parents - Henry Arthur LEE and Elizabeth LEE, maiden name ROSE
Married in Masterton NZ in 1882 to Anne Amelia Bohee
He deserted his wife sometime between 1895 and 1899 after the birth of his 5th son in 1895
I stumbled across the Romany History Society site that mentioned the names , LEE  and ROSE., also a Eunice LEE.
This made me think that maybe I have Romany connections as my grandfather named one of his daughters Eunice.  I maybe clutching at straws but thought it possible my Great great grandfather may have been telling fibs about where he was born.
Just wondering if you have any information or know how I can find out more.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.😄
Researching, Titcombe, Davies, Galloway, Craig, Shailer, Richardson, Lee, Rand, Hazell. All roots mainly from England, Scotland, New Zealand.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lee - Rose connections
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 16 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Henry Arthur Lee married Elizabeth Rose and son Henry Arthur Lee certainly are elusive.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722633.0

http://www.GenesReunited.com.au/boards/board/ancestors/thread/452065
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 16 06:54 GMT (UK) »
They sure are......I have been searching on and off for years to no avail.  Just thought I'd try and see if there were any Romany connections.
Jen😄
Researching, Titcombe, Davies, Galloway, Craig, Shailer, Richardson, Lee, Rand, Hazell. All roots mainly from England, Scotland, New Zealand.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 February 16 07:04 GMT (UK) »
You don't think Elizabeth Rose and Henry Arthur Lee Snr were Scots, Lambton, Newcastle in NSW had a lot of Scottish coalminers. Has a check been made for a Lee/Rose marriage in Scotland? (another rock to look under)
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 February 16 07:16 GMT (UK) »
You don't think Elizabeth Rose and Henry Arthur Lee Snr were Scots, Lambton, Newcastle in NSW had a lot of Scottish coalminers. Has a check been made for a Lee/Rose marriage in Scotland? (another rock to look under)

No.....I hadn't thought of Scotland😄