Author Topic: What's the oddest name you've found?  (Read 86610 times)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's the oddest name you've found?
« Reply #522 on: Monday 01 January 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Violetta was my great great grandma. Her dad was Rueben.

Another great grandparent was Moses with a brother Obediah. He married a Gertrude whose dad was called Lazarus and who had a brother Hepzibah. There's some other very unusual names but I can't think of them right now.

One that I'm really interested finding out knowing is the origin of Frederetta. Anyone heard of it?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
ADMONITION DREW
bap 9 Oct 1768 Stoke Dameral, Devon
died 15 March 1846, Camelford Cornwall

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
A few more unusual ones: Bethel, Ezra, Err, Simeon, Phineas. They're all siblings. My great granddad's middle name was Rain.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 00:24 GMT (UK) »
After finding my new family from my crashed brickwall I have found christian names that I have never heard of before..all in one family. Theophania [ female ] ..Pantenus [ male ]..Euridice [ female ] and Laodamia [female].

8)
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Another great grandparent was Moses with a brother Obediah. He married a Gertrude whose dad was called Lazarus and who had a brother Hepzibah. There's some other very unusual names but I can't think of them right now.
Hepzibah was usually a female name. There was a Queen Hepzibah in the Old Testament. The brother's name Hepzibah was definitely an odd choice.
When I first glanced at your post I read Ophelia instead of Obediah and expected to find a Hamlet in there somewhere.
Cowban

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 01:20 GMT (UK) »
To add to the growing pool of interesting names.....

Revolution SIXSMITH

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 01:26 GMT (UK) »
After finding my new family from my crashed brickwall I have found christian names that I have never heard of before..all in one family. Theophania [ female ] ..Pantenus [ male ]..Euridice [ female ] and Laodamia [female].
1st guess. You have Greek heritage.
2nd guess. One of their parents was a classical scholar.
Cowban

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maidenstone for that..Hallett is the surname..so your onto the money on that one.
NOW! to stop myself from going of on a path looking more in them.
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hepzibah was usually a female name. There was a Queen Hepzibah in the Old Testament. The brother's name Hepzibah was definitely an odd choice.
When I first glanced at your post I read Ophelia instead of Obediah and expected to find a Hamlet in there somewhere.
Sorry, I meant sister. God knows why I said brother.

Another one I've remembered is quite funny. She went by the name Nancy Ruth  (which was a common name in that family at the time) but is written as Lancelot and male on GRO. She lived into her eighties. Her sister told my grandma that her mother had gone to register when she was drunk and that the original birth certificate actually says 'Nanclock'.

That family have given me lots of frustration and quite a few laughs along the way. I think I am going to start a topic on them later today. There's still huge holes in the family.