Author Topic: The Era Almanac & Annual  (Read 566 times)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Era Almanac & Annual
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have recently found a 19th century actress in the family called Rosa Mayne. Guys on Root Chat have been very helpful in pointing me in the direction of The Era Newspaper for reviews of show she was in. I got The Society of Genealogist's book on Theatre Ancestors and it mentioned that the 'Era Almanac & Annual' included obituaries of actors which would be of great help as its often difficult to find other records as they moved so much. Does anyone know if this publication is available online, on disc or to buy. I have tried googling it but have had no joy. I have asked Find My Past if they are thinking of adding it to their collection as they already have The Era in their newspaper collection.
Any info would be very helpful.
Cheers
John

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Era Almanac & Annual
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I was intrigued by your mention of The Era Almanack. A quick Google revealed that's there was a copy of it for the year 1888 available on the free Internet Archive site. It looks like it was published annually so you'd need to know the year of death to find an individual mentioned in it.

https://archive.org/stream/eraalmanack00unkngoog#page/n70/mode/2up

This particular volume was only a few dozen pages long and the 'obituaries' are one-liners, just giving name, age and occupation for each person mentioned.

Sharon   
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Era Almanac & Annual
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I think Eliza Mayne died after 1895 and there do not seem to be many later editions than the one you mention. Even the British Library only has a few editions.