Author Topic: Different spelling of surnames  (Read 7617 times)

Offline DixonBainbridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Different spelling of surnames
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 February 16 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, that all makes sense.

I have recorded each name as they appear in the documents but what would you suggest I put for the main surname on my ancestry tree? Is there a standard practice?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 16 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Your tree, your research, you put what you want in your record of it.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 February 16 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Out of all the names listed at the bottom of my posts, there are only three that I have never found a variation for. And I expect to come across one of those as my research progresses.
As Lizdb has said, it is entirely up to you how you record it. As you have already done, I try to record the variations of spelling, but usually keep to one standard spelling of my choice. The one exception is the Pine/Pyne family, where the spelling changed when an ancestor moved parishes; other than that, it was reasonably standard. I have recorded the name accordingly.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 February 16 21:46 GMT (UK) »
You have seen the 1911 for these guys?

That is written by the head of the family and bears that person's signature.

I would think most folks are literate by 1911 and so what's on that census is the way the name is "meant" to be.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 February 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
You have seen the 1911 for these guys?

That is written by the head of the family and bears that person's signature.

I would think most folks are literate by 1911 and so what's on that census is the way the name is "meant" to be.

Salute,

Janelle

That's true as far as it goes. Yes people were generally literate by then, but as has been pointed out already on this thread, different branches of the same family could have different spellings, dating back several generations.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 February 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a paper somewhere in my filing  ::)  ::)  ::) that lists 104 - yes 104 - different ways to spell my surname!

Dawn M

I cannot top that Dawn, but between my siblings and I, (one born before WWII and the rest of us born after WWII) we know there's many many variations in spelling for 'our' surname.  Four of us had the same Primary School teacher for 4th class, (over about ten years or more)  at the same school etc.   And even then, our half yearly and yearly report cards, in her wonderfully neat handwriting show huge spelling mistakes....   urrrrmmmm  welll .....  (every report card  .... varies .... every one !)

It was not for want of trying, as both my parents were well known in the rural NSW township, and so too my aunts, uncles, and cousins, and grandparents/ great aunts/uncles.... all living at that time, in that locality, writing letters to the local newspaper, running the local P & C,  on the local councils, parish commitments, etc.  Generations of us had lived in that district.     

Basically, in my youth no one took much notice of the spelling variations.   We all know who was who, not by the names on these official records, but by their nick names .... Snowy, Rodge,  Fred, Joe, Blossom, Gunna, Sweetie, Cor, Gwen, Martha,  ......   (yes, Gwen was not among her names on her bc,  and as for Martha  .... that was the name of HIS first milking cow, and he would call out to her, so we just copied him until he started to answer us) .... 

It has only been since about the 1990s that there has been a fixation on pedantically cross checking identity documents in NSW for Spelling variations.   

Pine's point is spot on for any NSW Australia family.    :)   

May I mention that apart from spelling variations, many jurisdictions around the world, particularly those with administrative systems that may have origins back to England in earlier centuries, retain a common law right for their citizens and/or permanent residents, particularly in respect of their 'preferred' name.     

So basically,

"Australian citizens or permanent residents are legally entitled to communce using a 'preferred' name at any time without formal process.  Australian citizens retain a common law right to a change of name through usage or repute:
At common law an adult may assume any surname by using such name and becoming known by it.  A surname is not a matter of law but a mater of repute .....  The law of this country (Australia) allows any person to assume and use any named, provided its use is not calculated to deceive and to inflict pecuniary loss
" .... See NSW Law Reform Commision,  Names : Registration and Certification of Births and Deaths, Report no 61 (1988)

http://www.lawreform.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/report_61.pdf   

Cheers,  JM

On my tree records, I use the spelling of my surname to match the spelling on my marriage certificate.   The clergy had the same surname, and so too one of the witnesses.   It is a variation from Grandfather's spelling, but it does not mean that either Grandfather or I have used the 'correct spelling'  .... it is simply that of course I remember how to spell it MY way  :) when I am typing it.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 February 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Names vary over time in everyone's family  - there is no correct spelling, just a record of how it was written at that particular time or event.

You should record the name as it is written on each record you find.

I note the differences but the original in my tree is what's on the birth/baptism & you can only enter 1 for surname on FTM then add notes of the variants.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 February 16 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I add the variants in Notes and add what record it was spelt that way.

Annie, referring back to your earlier post, is there any sort of protocol for the Mc and Mac usages? Does a consonant or vowel predetermine which one is used, for example?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 February 16 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes I make note thus:

Pine/Pyne

That would not work if I were Dawn though.  ;D