Author Topic: Kinch Family - Barragh Parrish, Co Carlow  (Read 2763 times)

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kinch Family - Barragh Parrish, Co Carlow
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from a William Kinch (Protestant) born around 1790 in Ireland who emigrated to Canada with his sons (one named John) in the 1830's.  We do not have record of their home in Ireland but suspect it could be Co Carlow.  Tithe applotment records from 1825 show a John Kinch and a William Kinch in Kilbrannish, Barragh and a John Kinch in Carrigduff, Barragh.  Any ideas on how I could further research whether these are my ancestors?

I looked for church record availability and it seems the Barragh records were destroyed.  Is that correct?

Thanks for your help,
Linda from Canada

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kinch Family - Barragh Parrish, Co Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
See a Sarah Kinch in Griffiths Valuation living in Kilbrannish (south);

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=29&Submit.y=11&familyname=kinch&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=&countyname=CARLOW&unionname=&parishname=

Have you looked for records in Myshall C of I or maybe Bunclody(then called Newtownbarry) parish records.

Looking at Church of Ireland website;

http://ireland.anglican.org/information/dioceses/parish/15880

I  would imagine anyone living in Kilbrannish area would have been either in Fenagh or Newtownbarry C of I parishes.Fenagh parish covers Myshall whilst Newtownbarry is just over the border in Wexford.Carrigduff is really part of Bunclody(Newtownbarry) village.
A look at google maps will show you how close all these places are.

Only one Kinch shows up on 1901 census for Carlow;

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Carlow/Tullowbeg/Castlemore/1044699/

Six Kinch on 1901 census born in Carlow;

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?searchMoreVisible=true&census_year=1901&surname=kinch&firstname=&county19011911=&county1821=&county1831=&county1841=&county1851=&parish=&ward=&barony=&townland=&houseNumber=&ded=&age=&sex=&ageInMonths=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&yearsMarried=&birthplace=Carlow&nativeCountry=&language=&deafdumb=&causeOfDeath=&yearOfDeath=&familiesNumber=&malesNumber=&femalesNumber=&maleServNumber=&femaleServNumber=&estChurchNumber=&romanCatNumber=&presbNumber=&protNumber=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=&search=Search

If you search for those born in Wexford you find a few more born around Newtownbarry but the vast majority of the name in Wexford in 1901 is found at the far end of the county in Ballylarkin DED

The vast majority of Kinch's seem to be C of I.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 16 04:40 GMT (UK) »

I am descended from a William Kinch (Protestant) born around 1790 in Ireland who emigrated to Canada with his sons (one named John) in the 1830's.

Do you know William's wife's name or the names of the other sons? (there is a William Kinch and Ann Tutty with a son William in Monaseed, north Co.Wexford in the 1820s)

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 16 06:04 GMT (UK) »
We do not have the name of William's first wife.  His sons were Edward (born 1812), John (born 1816), William (born 1821), Abraham (born 1824) and Benjamin (born 1830).

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Linda

Offline carogenius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Linda - I am also a descendant of William Kinch's.  My mother is Carol Daisy Kinch, daughter of Albert Ernest Kinch.  His father was also Albert Ernest Kinch, son of Sanford Kinch, son of John Kinch who was the son of William from Ireland.  I live in Pennsylvania and have just started tracing my family roots.  I am very interested to see if you find anything in Ireland. 

Thanks a bunch!

Carolyn Coats

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 16 02:27 GMT (UK) »
In my records I have a Sanford Kinch, son of John, son of William so I agree we're of the same ancestry.  Will definitely share what I find but nothing firm at this time.

Regards, Linda

Offline carogenius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 16 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.

Carolyn