Author Topic: Simpson  (Read 3126 times)

Offline seelig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simpson
« on: Friday 12 February 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on a Doris Elizabeth Simpson born 29th September 1916 and died 29th December 1997. A sad story as this is my partners mother and yet he knows nothing about her. He has two relatives he knows about an Aunty Elsie who was married to a Walter Burton and had two sons both born in the Nottingham area. But he doesn't know the connection to them whether they are sisters or brothers to his mother. We then have a Florence married to an Ernest and they also had a son. I believe Elsie and Walter were married 1939 ...Doris Elizabeth Simpson was never married . I have found one birth for a Doris E Simpson in 1916 and the mothers surname was Rolph. Great name as unusual spelling when I research this it looks like there may have been three brothers who would all be my partners uncles but he has never heard them mentioned. Thomas.... William    and Leonard doesn't it just pull at your heart strings...I do believe that Doris may have been brought up by her gran I wonder if the boys were a handful and this was an answer to the problem the mother found herself in I have no idea which Rolph it is to find the mothers first name . The area I presume is Nottingham or even Nottinghamshire. Any help or pointers will be appreciated. I cannot believe this wasn't discussed as my partner was brought up such a shame to miss out on a whole family So looking forward to hearing from anyone with any answers.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing a ROlph/Simpson marriage in that area.

I think you will need to get Doris Elizabeth's birth cert to ascertain her mums name to help find more info.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 16 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Using freebmd births the first one showing mmn Rolph was in 1911 though there may have been some before. MMN do not appear on the index until 1911.  The birth cert of Doris would confirm her mothers names.

It is likely that this is the marriage of her parents
Dec qtr 1906 
Rolph -  Sarah Alice       
Simpson -    George       
Nottingham    7b   659

They should appear in 1911 census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
HAd another look - and how about this one?

Marriage
Oct/Nov/Dec 1906
Nottingham
Ref 7b 659

Sarah Alice Rolph / on same page George Simpson

snap Rosie!  red writing come up.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline seelig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks to both of you that was fast ...now I will go and reread and try and take this new information in....Doris Elizabeth Simpson was never married and had a son out of wedlock is that the reason for the great cloud that shrouded this family. I am happy to get something that I can show him...... I have found where his Dad is buried whom he cant remember and next week we are going to be able to actually visit his grave which will be very special and very emotional I am sure

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I think this is Sarah in 1891

5 Stone Terrace Sneiton
Charles Rolph 26 labourer bn London Peckham
Rebecca 27 lace spinner bn Southwell
Sarah A 7 mths bn Sneiton Nottingham

Sarah seems to be called Alice and is with Rebecca only in 1891 census
By 1911 census she is Mrs Simpson
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline seelig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 16 09:59 GMT (UK) »
If Sarah A Rolph is the mother of Doris Elizabeth Simpson and I am beginning to think this is correct ...Doris has three brothers and the story about her being brought up by a grandparent looks like it could be correct as I have found a death for Sarah A Simpson in 1919...so Doris would be two and half years old. Now I need to find the sons who were full brothers to her. So I have THOMAS A SIMPSON ...1911......WILLIAM H SIMPSON .....1913...LEONARD SIMPSON 1914

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 16 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Testing your info . . . . .

"I am looking for any information on a Doris Elizabeth Simpson born 29th September 1916 and died 29th December 1997."
 Where did she die?

How have you centred upon Doris Elizabeth when there are also Doris Edith and a "Doris (EK)" [ with same birth ref ]

"I do believe that Doris may have been brought up by her gran
 I wonder if the boys were a handful
 and this was an answer to the problem the mother found herself in "

? The mother died! ?

Which was why she may have been brought up by a grandmother?
 Which grandmother?

"I have found where his Dad is buried "
 You haven't told us about "his Dad"
 Where has this come from?
 Are you saying that your partner's birthcert confirms his parent's names?

What documents have you actually got for all/any of this?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline seelig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ray I have only a death certificate at the moment for my partners mother Doris Elizabeth Simpson and a birth certificate of my partner which confirms both his parents names... I have a birthdate of Doris as we celebrated her birthday of 29th September and she died in Nottingham. The Dale side comes from William Dale who was killed in 1953 ....death 2nd November 1953  in an accident he had two daughters who were born in the early 1900 s and a son William who died aged three and he is buried with his father at Wilford Hill. Doris Simpson was never married so there is no marriage certificate. Speaking to an official at the cemetary it is apparent that William Simpson was living with Doris at the time of his death , I now have a date of a death for Sarah Alice Simpson 1919 and believe that this is why Doris was bought up by her grandma who at this point in time I have no name for.... she could have been Sarahs parents Charles and Rebecca who were on a census in 1891 showing a child Sarah A Rolph as being age 0 which would be correct. As Doris was born in 1916 I cannot get her name listed in a household on a census  She seems to have had three brothers of which a Thomas A Simpson may have died 2nd April 1942 aged 30 and is named on a military listing as Thomas Arthur. I have marriages in Nottingham with names of the other two brothers and I really have to decide by date and probability which belongs to the two remaining brothers...one William H Simpson was married to a Margaret Felose now that is a dream of a name to research. You just have to keep chipping away don't you its all too fascinating as sometimes I forget to eat Also looking for the relationship between Doris and my partners two aunts and uncles Elsie married Walter Burton 1939 and Ernest was married to Florrie but I don't know their surname. I have found a Simpson family on the 1901 census they lived at Florence Street and a lot of the names I have mentioned are on here but although they may be related I don't believe they are the family I am looking for as I do think Sarah Alice Rolph is her mother Thank you to the posters who have helped add to this research it is very kind of you and very much appreciated  .