Author Topic: ** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **  (Read 65835 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **
« on: Friday 12 February 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I spent a small fortune recently on five Certs from the GRO.
I've just finished entering postems for these into the FreeBMD site .

Just think, if we all entered the details of all our Certs, there'd be a huge volume of extra information available.

See also this old thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=629737.0

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: ** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 16 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Eadaoin, for bringing this up. This should become a sticky perhaps, to remind all Rootschatters to do this with their certificates.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 16 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I didn't even know you could do this!!  In fact I don't even know what a postem is!!!  ::)

I am very cautious about buying certificates and really only buy them when all else fails and then only if I am completely stuck, it's such an expensive business hence why I volunteered for FreeReg the past couple of weeks, I've had help from people on different forums with look ups in record offices, etc. so am "paying it forward" as they say.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 16 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I often suggest on here when people are posting information from their unwanted certificates that they put the information on freebmd as a postem.  :)

I didn't even know you could do this!!  In fact I don't even know what a postem is!!!  ::)

When you search on freebmd and get up a record if you click the spectacles alongside the entry this appears above 'view the original image'  -  You may add a postem to this entry .  Click this and  you can add the details.  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 16 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Beeonthebay - Just as an example take a look at this record.  There is an envelope alongside the index just click it.
Marriage Dec qtr 1904   
Emily Ritchings   
Haslingden    8e   281
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 February 16 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Beeonthebay - Just as an example take a look at this record.  There is an envelope alongside the index just click it.
Marriage Dec qtr 1904   
Emily Ritchings   
Haslingden    8e   281

Well I never!!!  I didn't even know this existed!!  I can see the typed up very useful information but when I tried to open up an actual scan nothing happened with either link even though I did different formats.  Should I be seeing a copy of a parish register or an actual marriage certificate or am I missing the point here?   ::)
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 February 16 08:48 GMT (UK) »
This DEFINITELY needs to be made sticky.

Only recently, I was wondering how viable it would be to create a site where people could record the information from the certificates they had bought (wanted AND unwanted) to save others the expense of buying certificates which turned out not to be irrelevant.

If it's already there ... we need to start using it ... and encourage everyone in our community to do so. The more of us do it, the more useful it will be ... a bit like that project to decipher the quarter million papyrus fragments found in 1930!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 February 16 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Dec qtr 1904   
Emily Ritchings   
Haslingden    8e   281

Well I never!!!  I didn't even know this existed!!  I can see the typed up very useful information but when I tried to open up an actual scan nothing happened with either link even though I did different formats.  Should I be seeing a copy of a parish register or an actual marriage certificate or am I missing the point here?   ::)

The scan is to view the original entry in the register not anything from the person who posted the postem information.   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 February 16 09:17 GMT (UK) »
It's a great idea - I've done it for a couple of my certificates,  and will make the effort to do the rest :) Particularly for deaths pre-1866 where the age wasn't recorded  in the index - it's so hard to know whether you've got the right record so if everyone added post-ems it would benefit us all.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!