Author Topic: ** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **  (Read 65834 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: ** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I did this with a lot of my Carmarthen Joneses... I didn't know if it was ok to basically transcribe the cert so I think a lot of them just clarified if they were the right person, like "Ann Jones wife of Henry died aged 50 in Place" or whatever.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Beeonthebay - Just as an example take a look at this record.  There is an envelope alongside the index just click it.
Marriage Dec qtr 1904   
Emily Ritchings   
Haslingden    8e   281

Well I never!!!  I didn't even know this existed!!  I can see the typed up very useful information but when I tried to open up an actual scan nothing happened with either link even though I did different formats.  Should I be seeing a copy of a parish register or an actual marriage certificate or am I missing the point here?   ::)

Silvery is correct there is nothing else that you can see other than what has been put on the postem.  The scan is what you should be checking against before ordering a certificate or if you think there is a transcription error as it is a copy of the GRO index.  You can also report transcription errors on this site.

The example I gave you also shows on the entry for her husband James Frederick Wilkinson  ;)  You can if you like leave an email address if you are hoping someone may contact you, personally I don't.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I am definitely going to be doing this, nothing more frustrating than having many deaths for instance all in the same time period with common names.

jbml is right this needs to be made into a sticky, until today I had never even heard of it, what a great idea!!!
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 February 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I've done all my certificates since I read Rosie's note a few years ago.  I wish everyone would do it.
It would save a lot of time and money.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 February 16 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Beeonthebay - Just as an example take a look at this record.  There is an envelope alongside the index just click it.
Marriage Dec qtr 1904   
Emily Ritchings   
Haslingden    8e   281

Well I never!!!  I didn't even know this existed!!  I can see the typed up very useful information but when I tried to open up an actual scan nothing happened with either link even though I did different formats.  Should I be seeing a copy of a parish register or an actual marriage certificate or am I missing the point here?   ::)

Silvery is correct there is nothing else that you can see other than what has been put on the postem.  The scan is what you should be checking against before ordering a certificate or if you think there is a transcription error as it is a copy of the GRO index.  You can also report transcription errors on this site.

The example I gave you also shows on the entry for her husband James Frederick Wilkinson  ;)  You can if you like leave an email address if you are hoping someone may contact you, personally I don't.

That is so helpful!!
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 February 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I did this with a lot of my Carmarthen Joneses... I didn't know if it was ok to basically transcribe the cert so I think a lot of them just clarified if they were the right person, like "Ann Jones wife of Henry died aged 50 in Place" or whatever.

I put everything on, names, ages, dates, address, witnesses, church, cause of death etc etc.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline modem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 February 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
The official Death Index has my gg grandfather recorded as dying at the age of 37 which did not match the info I already had for him. For a long time I put off ordering the death certificate because of this but because the initial of the middle name matched his, decided to take a chance. I got lucky it was him. The details on the certificate including the name of his son who was the informant as well as his unusual middle name matched my info. The certificate showed his actual age as 67 which is more like what it should have been. I put a Postem on the FreeBMD entry (which is an exact copy of the official record) showing his age as written on the  certificate.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 February 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Never knew that it was possible to add this information!

Thank you eadaoin for bringing this topic up  :)

I'm going to spend tomorrow adding information to FreeBMD from my many certificates.  When I include all the wrongs ones it makes quite a pile ;)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 February 16 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the Help page on FreeBMD for Postems:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/postems-help.html

It is also possible to search the Postems using surnames/dates etc:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/ShowPostems.pl

I also do Postems for any marriage/death notices that I find in local newspapers, when doing look-ups etc, and sometimes inquest reports.  Although you are limited to 250 characters, you can always put Contd/ and add another Postem which will follow on from the first.