Author Topic: Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?
« on: Saturday 13 February 16 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm desperately trying to find where my Great Uncle, Eric Thompson Stobbs was laid to rest.

Birth 1 OCT 1899 • Cornriggs, Stanhope,Weardale, Durham

Death 11 FEB 1944 •Harton Institute South Shields, Durham, England

Mother Margaret Jane Thompson, Father William Stobbs

Eric was my paternal Grandmother Nellie's brother and had Downs syndrome. There were 3 other siblings, Arnold, Harry (who was killed in WWI) and Dora.
Their mother Margaret died in 1918 and William Stobbs married Selina Watson in the 1920's.  Eric lived in St Johns Chapel in Weardale (Stanhope) until the death of his Father and Step Mother in 1934. Eric's father spent all his life in Weardale, as did Eric's maternal Grandfather, Joseph Thompson who was a Miller at Cowshill.
From heresay from my Dad, before Erics father William Stobbs died he gave money to all of Eric's siblings on the understanding that they would all "take their turn" in having Eric to live with them. However in practise this isn't what happened. I believe that his brother Arnold was particulalry reluctant to provide care for him. This resulted in considerable animosity amongst the family. As a result, Eric was admitted on to one of the longstay wards at the Harton Institiute (formerly the workhouse) at South Shields, Durham around about 1940. He died in February 1944.

Arnold was a Doctor whose last known address may have been in Northumberland, certainly he had family who lived there in the 1960s and 70s. As far as I'm aware he never visited Eric at the Institute, so I think it's unlikely that he was involved when Eric died.
Dora married and became Nattrass and would have been living in Guisborough, Cleveland at the time of Eric's death.
My Grandmother married and became Elliott. They moved around the North-East quite a lot and Eric spent the most amount of time living with them. Consequently Eric and my Dad grew up together and were close even though there was a 32 year age difference.
They were living at Escomb Bishop Auckland Durham at the time of Eric's death. Dad would have been 12 when Eric died, but he can't recall anything about a funeral, but he knows that his mother did used to visit Eric at Harton.

I've tried local resources, graveyards and various online places but I'm unable to find where Eric was buried. Eric's mother  Margaret Thompson,is buried in Weardale (Burtreeford cemetry) with her Mother and Father etc but there's no sign of Eric there.
His Sister Nellie and my Grandfather and several other family members are buried at St Johns Chapel, Stanhope, Weardale but I can't find him there either, although the parish records are particularly poor.

I have found out that Erics estate of £140 went to my Grandmother, Nellie, who as I said was living at Escomb at the time of Eric's death, and it is that address that's on the probate record for Eric.It seems likely that she may have been involved when he died.

Any help appreciated as Dad is now 83 and we would really like to find Eric.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 16 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried here:

https://portal.southtyneside.info/eservices/frmHomepage.aspx?FunctionId=64

Other thoughts are, do you know where his parents were buried? If theirs was a purchased grave then he may be in the same grave as them or a predeceased sibling/ in law. I have a few who were buried in graves with in laws as there happened to be space in the grave.

Boo

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Another thought, are you sure that he was buried, he could have been cremated? Have you tried the local council as they may keep records?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you've checked the burial registers for Harton and Westoe cemeteries?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
South Shields Crematorium opened in 1961

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 16 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello and happy to see all the replies.
Boo-tried the link you provided and it asks for the name of the cemetry where the person was buried,and I don't know that. As I said, his Mother is buried with her Mother and Father and siblings at Burtreeford Cemetry, Stanhope in Weardale. I don't know where his Father, William Stobbs is buried, but I would imagine it was in Weardale as he lived there all his life and had strong connections in the community and with the Primitive Methodist Chapel in St Johns Chapel. I've searched the "Weardale Churchyard project" database and he doesn't come up, however this was people walking through the Churchyards recording headstones and it could be that there was no headstone, or that it's fallen or been moved.
groom- I don't know whether he was buried or cremated, but I think the only crematorium in the area that was open then was Newcastle. I'll see if I can contact them or Newcastle City Council. Thanks.
JenB-do you mean go to South Shileds and find the parish records for burials? I've no experience of finding parish records.
Stan- yes, I was aware that it wasn't open when he died.
Setting myself a time limit of another 4 weeks and if I can't find Eric then we'll do something on my Grandmothers (his sister) headstone at St John's Chapel.
Thanks everyone.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 16 08:55 GMT (UK) »
JenB-do you mean go to South Shileds and find the parish records for burials? I've no experience of finding parish records.

In your original posting you said you'd 'tried local resources and graveyards', so I was just double-checking that you had actually looked at, or had someone check for you, the burial records of Harton and Westoe Cemeteries?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 16 09:22 GMT (UK) »

Boo-tried the link you provided and it asks for the name of the cemetry where the person was buried,and I don't know that.

I realise that, but if (like me) you are outside the local area and not able to get to the South Shields Library to look at the records yourself you could email/phone the library or the cemeteries dept.

Explain that you know when and where he died and ask what the cost would be to look up the records to see if he is buried in one of the local cemeteries. Bear in mind that even if he is buried in e.g. Harton there may not be a headstone but at least you would get a section and plot number to know where he was laid to rest.

If you 'are' able to go to the library then, as they suggest, ring and ask for an appointment. The records will be on microfilm so the appointment would be needed to reserve a microfilm reader as they are usually very popular. When you get there someone at the Library would help you and show you how to look through them and see if what you want is there.

Boo

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 February 16 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Harton Institution was formerly The Workhouse.  The records of deaths are at Tyne and Wear Archives and the record of his death may also state where he was buried.
You could contact Tyne & Wear Archives (if you haven't already done so) to ask for information, but they do make a charge for look-ups.
Alternatively, the local Church to Harton Institution (now Harton Hospital) is, I believe, St. Paul's.  South Shields Reference Library may have a print-out of St. Paul's registers.
(Apologies if you have already sourced those suggestions of mine!)