Author Topic: Jessie Robertson b 1901 Forres lived in Buckie  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Robertson b 1901 Forres lived in Buckie
« on: Sunday 14 February 16 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Jessie Robertson b 1 Mar 1901 54 North Road Forres Morayshire. She was born illegitimately to Mary Robertson. Mary left her with her brother William in Buckie . In the 1911 census Jessie was with her uncle William Robertson and his wife Jessie at 123 Main Street Buckie. Also in the house was Peggy Robertson another niece of William's who I suspect was Jessie's sister another illegitimate child of Mary Robertson. Does any one know what happened to Jessie or Peggy? Mary their mother disappeared and I cannot find out what happened to her. She had 2 other illegitimate children (2 boys) that she left with her mother in Nairn. She got caught out putting false information on Jessie's birth certificate. She made up a marriage and registered Jessie as Sinclair. By order of the Sheriff the cert. was changed to Janet Robertson and the fathers name and the marriage date were deleted. I have definitely hit the proverbial brick wall.
Seoni

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Robertson b 1901 Forres lived in Buckie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Jessie Anderson Robertson b 01 FEB 1901 54B North Rd. Forres was the daughter of Jeanie Main and Hendrie Robertson who were married 25 SEP 1896 in Kinloss.

Both the birth and marriage are available at Scotland's People.  I see no other Jessie born there in 1901.  Where did you get this info from?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Remember that Jessie can be Janet, if she's using her Sunday name.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
This is the only female Robertson b in Forres in 1901.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I searched for Janet Robertson in index - there is one for this , the one OP refers to i.e. born 1st March 1901 54G North Road, Forres and certificate shows name was Janet Anderson Sinclair, dau. of James Sinclair, Shepherd (with an address in Nairn) and Mary Sinclair, nee Robertson with, as OP said, a marriage date. Margin on left refers to a corrected entry made on 1st June possibly 1904 or 1906 - hard to read year.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Seoni,
          1901 Census, Forres. 55d North Road.
     George Robertson 73 Gas Stoker b New Spynie, Morayshire.
     Jessie          "         72 Wife           b Duffus,                 "
     Mary Sindair          31 Boarder     b Stomaray, Ross-shire. (Sindair? Transcription Error)
     Janet Sinclair 1month Daughter   b Forres, Morayshire.
          (I'm sure Census means Janet is the daughter of Mary Sinclair, not of 72 years old Jessie Robertson as per this transcription!!)
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 16 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies. Jessie Robertson was born on 1 Mar 1901 in Forres. She was registered as Janet Anderson Sinclair. The register of corrected entries shows that her mother Mary Robertson made a deposition on 30 May 1901 that she had falsified her daughters birth certificate. She had claimed to be married to a shepherd from Nairn named Sinclair. There was no such marriage. The sheriff ordered the certificate to be amended taking out the fathers name and the marriage. The child's surname was changed from Sinclair to Robertson. When the 1901 census was taken Mary Robertson was still calling herself Sinclair and claiming to come from Stornoway. The address was 54d North Road Forres.  All lies. It was not the first time that Mary had lied about illegitimate children. She had already done something similar before in Nairn about another illegitimate child that she had. By 1911 Mary had left her child Janet (Jessie) with her brother William and his wife in Buckie. Also in the household was another child Peggy born circa 1907. She was described as William's niece. I suspect she was another illegitimate child of Mary Robertson. She was supposed to have been born in Nairn but I cannot find her birth there. Mary told so many lies that I may never find out where Peggy was born and whether she was born under the name Robertson or some other one her mother had made up. This is a mystery that I have been trying to solve for years. All I know is that both girls were in Buckie in 1911 with their Uncle William Robertson at 123 Main Street Buckie. William died in 1936 at 76 Main Street Buckie.  What happened to them after that is a mystery. I do not know what happened to Mary after 1901. It is difficult if I don't know what name she was using.
Seoni

Offline varisian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
I have been reading your posts on Mary Robertson (Sinclair). In the 1901 Census she was staying with my gt grandfather George Robertson, the house number should be 54g, his daughter Jessie was in 54f and his son Henry (my grandfather) in 54b - talk about keeping it in the family!
I'm sure there was a connection between "my" George Robertson and Mary's father George who was born in Aberdeen. My branch of the Robertsons always seem to have been around Morayshire and I wonder if anyone has traced when George Robertson's (born in Aberdeen C. 1841) ancestors would have moved there.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 October 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoni,

I think it would have been an idea to use "Janet Anderson Sinclair" in your "Subject" heading rather than "Jessie Robertson" was born on 1 Mar 1901 in Forres. She was registered as Janet Anderson Sinclair

People searching for a person who didn't exist (in terms)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"