Author Topic: Neil Family – Bowden, Roxburghshire  (Read 1777 times)

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neil Family – Bowden, Roxburghshire
« on: Monday 15 February 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Searching for information on the Neil, Gray, & Scott Families which may help breakdown a couple of brickwalls, photo identification, and expand the family tree.
My Great Aunt Robina Neil 1882 – 1977 although born in Perthshire possibly spent some time with the Neil Family of Bowden who moved there from Lanarkshire in the mid-1800s.   
Robina was a boarder with the Goodfellow Family of Trinity Street, Hawick during the 1911 Census.           
One of Robina’s Uncles Alexander Neil married an Agnes Gray in Bowden March 12, 1880. They had 6 known children.
James Neil b1880 d? :                                                                                                                                             Catherine Neil b1884 d?:                                                                                                                                       William Neil b1887 d?:                                                                                                                                                Adam Gray Neil b1890 – d1976:                                                                                                                                       John* Neil b1892 d? :                                                                                                                                                   Margaret Neil b1894 - d? :
*John may have served with the Royal Scottish Fusiliers during WW1.
All help and suggestions appreciated.
Regards & Thanks
David from sunny Queensland

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Family – Bowden, Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
There's a John Neil in the Royal Fusiliers but he gives his POB as Kilmaurs, Ayrshire and his father as James.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

It may be a good idea to edit your "subject" heading to include all 3 surnames you are researching.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for?

Can you please post some more info. such as parents, maiden names, birth/marriage/death dates/places.........any info. you already have to save duplicated efforts.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Annie,
Thanks for your advice and responding so quickly.
At this stage I have 2 primary goals.                                                                                                                                        a) Find out the name of my GA's Fiance.
b) Put names to faces of the attached photos.                                                                               My GA, Robina Neil is extreme right facing. The lady in the centre of the back row may be an elder sister or cousin of my GA. Photo possibly taken between 1910 & 1918. (Hospital?? Woolen Mill??
All the ladies seam to be wearing similar type dress/ uniform??                                                     I initially posted the photos about 2yrs ago but had no concrete success. Since then I found the Neil Family "Bowden" connection and the 1911 census result for my GA (Hawick and Goodfellow connection). Thought it best not to post the photos immediately if I was able to make a connection with a present day "Family member" I might be lucky. Hope this makes things clearer. for you. With respect to using Rootschat I am only a beginner. If I do a repost want I be confusing readers?
Many Thanks
David

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 16 02:49 GMT (UK) »
What was Robina's occupation on 1911 census as this may indicate where pic was taken?

Still unsure exactly what info. you require?

Who are Robina's parents, siblings etc. as you have only given info. on her uncle?

What info. do you have in connection regarding a fiance. Do you have a forename?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Have just noticed the footnote on your correspondence of family names you are researching. I am a Steele on my Mother’s side. (Edinburgh & Lanarkshire).
Please see below information pertaining to my GA family.
Unfortunately we know basically nothing about Robina Neil’s fiancé. Just the Regiment!
Why research such an enigma? (Words as written on the back of a photo) “Aunty Bobby’s fiancé”: To ensure he receives or has received the correct recognition that he deserves! If and when we find a name we can obtain a regiment number and badge number. From that we can trace where he was serving, injured or KIA. Perhaps find his name on a war memorial.
With respect to the photo of the group of Ladies? I thought if I was able to identify them and trace respective families it just might lead to the identification of Robina Neil fiancé.
A very slim chance of success but worth a try!!
Robin Neil b. Arngask, Perthshire 1892 D. Edinburgh;
1911 Census. Aged 19yrs Occupation: Woollen Hosiery Manufacture (Looker & Mender);
Parents: John Neil b. Dolphinton Lanarkshire 1851 d. When and where unknown; m. April 14th. 1876 Stow, Midlothian;                                                                                                                                           Isabella Mitchell b.1849 Stow Midlothian d. 1910 where unknown; Siblings:                                                                                                   James b. 1876 Muckhart, Perthshire d. when & where unknown;                                                          Isabella b.1878 Muckhart, Perthshire d. March 1933, West Kent General Hospital, Maidstone;                                                                                      Margaret (Maggie) b.1881 Muckhart, Perthshire d. when & where unknown;                                                                                                      Janet b.1884 Duncrievie Perthshire d. 1947 Edinburgh     
Many thanks for your advice and time.
David                                                 

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
annie try this from Bowden c emetery
249 In memory of MARGARET NEIL daughter of JAMES NEIL who died at
Prieston 14.7.1879 aged 23 years the above JAMES NEIL who died at Midlem
1.3.1906 aged 82 years ISABELLA BROWN his wife who died at Midlem
17.7.1913 aged 91 years also his son ALEXANDER NEIL who died at Midlem
19.3.1933 aged 84 years also AGNES GRAY wife of the above ALEXANDER
NEIL who died at Midlem 17.1.1935 aged 80 years WILLIAM GRAY NEIL son
of the above ALEXANDER NEIL who died at Midlem 2.8.1947 aged 60 years.
250 In loving memory of ISABELLA MARGARET NEIL who died at Halliburton
Greenlaw 22.6.1974 aged 78 years.
237 In loving memory of HENRY SCOTT husband of CATHERINE NEIL Midlem

NB, MIDLEM AN LILLIESLEAF ARE LITTLE VILLAGES OUTSIDE BOWDEN.
HOPE THIS HELPS
and son of JAMES and HELEN SCOTT Phaup who died at Howdshall
19.11.1909 aged 27 years.

They are all available on CD from Border Family History Society with headstone photographs
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 16 13:13 GMT (UK) »
the families seemed to live in the Midlem area which was part of Bowden Parish

some are buried at Bowden

Henry Scott of Midlem - husband of Catherine Neil and son of James & Helen Scott died at 19 Nov 1909 aged 27years

Margaret Neil daughter of James Neil died Prieston 14.07.1879 aged 23yr
James Neil died at Midlem 01.03.1906 82 yrs and wife Isabella Brown died Midlem 17.07.1913 91 yrs
his son Alexander Neil died at Midlem 19.03.1933 84 yrs and Alexander's wife Agnes Gray died at Midlem 17.01.1935 80yrs and William Gray Neil son of Alexander died at Midlem 02.08.1947 60yrs

Isabella Margaret Neil died at Halliburton Greenlaw 22.06.1974 78yrs

Also some other stones which might be linked:

John Gray farmer at the Firth, Lilliesleaf died 14.08.1899 70yrs and his wife Elizabeth Scott died at the Knowe Lilliesleaf 17.05.1915 and their son Peter Gray died at the Knowe Lilliesleaf 18.06.1935 75yrs

Peter Gray tenant at Hilton Hill died 20.031853 74yrs and his eife Bettrex Scott died 17.01.1865 74yrs also their children
Isabella died 10.03.1856 42yrs
Jane died young
John died young
James ltenant in Templehall died 21.12.1888 68yrs
Peter died Midlem 11.01.1891 67yrs
Beatrix died Midlem 16.07.1892 67 yrs
William died Midlem 03.12.1892 73 yrs and his wife Catherine Dalgleish died St Boswells 14.12.1905 83yrs also the family of William Gray - Peter and Isabella died young and son Adam died Midlem 29.07.1907 58yrs

NB: then is comes the name of SCOTT in the Scottish Borders it is a of the most common - so best of luck.

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 16 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

Many thanks for your valuable input.

All the very best for your own research.

David