Author Topic: John Harry Lloyd and the Princess Irene????  (Read 391 times)

Offline SueB2015

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Harry Lloyd and the Princess Irene????
« on: Monday 15 February 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if you can help... I have a chap who survived WW1 and was a PO on various ships until demob in 1919. He has a small Brass Plaque recording the Princess Irene which sank in May 1915. He was not on the Princess so I am wondering how/why he received it......Can anyone enlighten me. His name was John Harry Lloyd. born 28th March 1878. Have Census', Service Record, Marriage Cert etc.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Harry Lloyd and the Princess Irene????
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I fear this might be a guessing game.  The thought occurs that he may well have known one or more of the ship's company or of the many additional POs who were on the ship.  Was he on a minelayer at any time?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
How big is the plaque and is it attached to anything?

I have seen items made out of the wreckage of ships or from scrapped ships ...bits of wood, carved items, bits of metalwork which were created as memorabilia and sold for charity. 

I also have (somewhere) a tiny brass plaque which is about 3 or 4 cm long with name of a WW1 ship on it which I presumed was at one point attached to a memorabilia item.

Perhaps yours is a similar thing?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your PM.

The newspaper reports say that in addition to the crew, there were a number of dockyard workers and a party of 50 Petty Officers.  Petty Officers are fairly senior ratings and don't tend to go around in parties of 50 unless they were on some sort of training course. You say that your chap was on the training vessel Actaeon nearby so it could well be that the POs who perished were "his" trainees and it could have been the Actaeon who thought of making some sort of unofficial memento.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia