Author Topic: Charles Denney b.1912 Manchester UK, did he die in Canada? Please assist.  (Read 1084 times)

guest259648

Charles Denney b.1912 Manchester UK, did he die in Canada? Please assist.
« on: Monday 15 February 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Seeking news of Charles [Charlie] DENNEY. (No middle name.) Born 19.09.1912, Manchester, England. Early years spent in Birkenhead, Cheshire UK. Known to have been 'adopted' in probably the mid-1920s, when his single Mum couldn't look after both him + new baby. Can't find him anywhere in the UK records, after his birth. Was he taken to Canada? (British Home Children? - I have not yet found him on their lists.) Does he appear in Canadian death records? All help gratefully received. Thank you :-)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Denney b.1912 Manchester UK, did he die in Canada? Please assist.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
What was his mothers name?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you suspect he moved to Canada with adoptive parents  ???  Of course his surname may have changed  ???
Unfortunately Canada does not have a central registries/indexes for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging. As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 85 years ago and deaths 70 years ago

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

guest259648

« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jennifer, and thank you Sandra...
Charles Denney's mother's maiden name was Denney, the same; she never got married.
She stayed in the UK.
Sadly I don't know which family Charlie was placed with, or where he went. He'd have been in his teens, I think, and it's fairly unlikely that his name would have been changed, but always possible; I'm hoping he kept the Charles at the very least.
I didn't know it was so difficult to see Canadian records. I was hoping a death could be searched for by Date Of Birth, you can do that on www.ancestry.co.uk, but Ancestry doesn't seem to hold Canadian records, which is why I'm asking here. Are there any searchable 20th century censuses, which would contain DOB?

guest259648

« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra for posting the link - I didn't know how to (still learning!)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
No problem, we all started there at one time - it just ties things up and saves any duplication. You said he was "known" to be adopted  ???  Seems strange he would go as a Barnados boy if he had been adopted  ??? Was this an official or unofficial adoption  ??? Nothing showing yet but still looking.

Sandra

guest259648

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Facts are few and we know so little about him. All I have is that Charlie b.1912 'was adopted' because of the arrival of a new baby when his mother was in her 40s. Wasn't an orphan. I don't know who his father was, and there's no father's name on the BC. His mother had many siblings living locally, some of them were quite well off, and you would think he'd be accommodated within the wider family, but instead he's disappeared from knowledge - so must have been given away. I don't know of any formal adoption. The 'adoption' most probably happened about 1923/4. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you searched the Canadian sources at familysearch and ancestry.ca?
familysearch has the bmd for the Provinces of Ontario and British Columbia.

Another great database for Canada is Library and Archives Canada
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/pages/census.aspx
They also have passenger lists and naturalisations.

For later years you can look at the Voters Lists at ancestry.ca

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.