Author Topic: Have I found the right James Gallagher in New York?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have I found the right James Gallagher in New York?
« on: Monday 15 February 16 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find details on my Great uncle James Gallagher, who emigrated to New York from Ireland. He was born in 1879, son of Hugh Gallagher and Bridget(Biddy) Gallagher (nee Hanlon).I have found a death on 24th October 1912 in Manhattan for a James Gallagher,aged 32. His parents' names match and he was unmarried. My great uncle was also single but I never heard it said that he died so young.I am looking for any additional information on this gentleman,so as to establish if he is indeed my great uncle. His address at time of death was 351 West 30th Street New York, his occupation is listed as Fireman and he was buried in Calvary Cemetery on 29th October 1912.

Thanks.
Paul.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Have I found the right James Gallagher in New York?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul:

I've not yet found anything for you, sorry.

It's a long story, but when I was about 12 years old we thought we had found a distant Irish relative - names, dates and other facts tied my ancestor (who had an unusual surname) to this lady's "John" who left Ireland in the early 1800's.  Several years ago, when I was researching, I found out that my ancestor could not have been our common ancestor.  While I do believe my ancestor could be the nephew or cousin of her John (I've yet to find solid proof), we all did make a mistake.  I've since learned to never assume anything.

If your James' parents were Hugh Gallagher and Bridget Hanlon, and looking at the New York death record for James Gallagher, I would "assume" that the man who died in 1912 is your great uncle.  But, I would try to get more facts before stating he is your relative.

I tried a brief search and did not find anything, but have you tried the following sites:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/#tab=tab_advanced_search
  Newspaper search.  In the past, I've used general terms when searching.  If Mr. Gallagher died in an accident, they may have publishing an article about his death without including his name.
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
  Newspaper search.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
  Grave search - a number of cemeteries have not yet been included and some cemeteries are only partially researched.

I hope this helps (if you haven't already tried the above sites).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea when he sailed to America and what his occupation was, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 03:31 GMT (UK) »
James Gallagher is such a common name that it would help if you have any additional details or clues that would help a search focus in on the right party.  Do you have a middle name or initial for him?  Do you know the name of his wife and her estimated year of birth?  Do you know the names of his children and when they were born?  What year did he immigrate?

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,thanks for the reply.I have spent  hours trying to find the record of him sailing to America, without success. In fact I can't find the records of him or his 2 brothers John and Hugh, sailing to America. I think part of the problem is they all have such common names. What I can say is that according to the 1910 US census, all 3 of them arrived between 1905 and 1907.James's occupation is listed as a motorman in a car company. 
Hi Knort33,I unfortunately don't have a middle name or initial.And as he never married, no wife or children details.
Thanks.
Paul.

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
What is the name of the city and county where you found the 1910 census record?
What year was Hugh born, according to the census?
What year was John born, according to the census?
On the 1910 census record you looked at, are all 3 brothers listed as living in the same residence?
What is the address they are living at?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
In answer to the questions of Knort above - Census showing the 3 brothers together -  1910 West 15th Street Manhattan Ward 16, New York, New York.

Catherin Mc Donnell   41 Joseph Mcdonnell   10 Catherine Mcdonnell   8
Patrick Flood   41
James Gallagher   32 Born 1878 Ireland. Imm 1906. Motor Man. Car Co.
Hugh Gallagher   27 Born 1883 Ireland. Im 1905. Labourer. Garage.
John Gallagher   23 Born Ireland 1887. Imm 1907. Fireman. Hotel.
Joseph Mcmunigan   26
James Prunty   24
Barnard Rorke   23

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MP1F-G2G

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 16 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Impossible to tel if this could be the right one - there is a New York Passenger List - James Gallagher - born 1878 Donegal, single, labourer - arriving 12 May 1907 on the Caledonia Londonderry to New York. Final destination Philadelphia to brother Hugh Gallagher 2204 Keator St ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra, thanks for supplying that information to knort33. I have also found several examples of James Gallaghers travelling to their brothers John or Hugh, and as you say, it is impossible to know if you have the right one. That's why I thought I would approach this thread from the 'other side',( no pun intended), to see if I could gather any more information on the James Gallagher who died in Manhattan on 24th October 1912, and see if working backwards would lead me to my Great uncle.

Thanks.
Paul.