Author Topic: MOD can reissue returned WW1 medals  (Read 52035 times)

Offline Tarnwater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOD can reissue returned WW1 medals
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I made a successful application for my great grandfathers medals, unfortunately the medal office sent them to another family member by mistake, as there details were on record for a failed application. I had been able to prove the medals had been returned unclaimed, and had informed the other person of my intentions, doing everything above board, even giving the correct relation to the deceased. The other family member never mentioned to me of there intentions to claim, several years earlier and had wrongly stated that he was the grandson, not great grandson on the application. Am I bitter, yes very much so, because at the time my wife was dying from cancer, and the relative used her illness as a cover up for his lies, by saying he did not mention he had aslo put in a claim, because my wife was ill. He failed to say it was 11 years before my request and that he knew his application had neen turned down, even when the package arrived on his door, he still decided not to tell me anything about it, knowing I was waiting for the delivery. I now have little to do with him, and feel betrayed.
PRITCHARD[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE
EVANS[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE]
SLOAN/SLOANE[CAERNARVONSHIRE]
WILLIAMS[Caernarvonshire]
JONES[Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]
ROBERTS[Caernarvonshire]
TODD[ANTRIM]
McNEILL[Antrim]
FURNEAUX[DEVON]
SKINNER[DEVON]
WEST[Devon]
SANDERS/SAUNDERS[DEVON]
WEBBER[Devon]
BARRET[Devon]
POPE[Devon]
EDWARDS [Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
As far as I'm aware any blood relation can apply as nok.
I personally applied for my grandfathers returned medals even though I wasn't the oldest grandson.

I agree with doch and, as far as I know, any blood relative can apply.  I don't think the MoD do a detailed check to confirm if the applicant is the closest NOK but there has to be a level of trust that the applicant is a genuine NOK.

Good luck with your application
  Malcolm
Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 15 December 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
thought i would share my good news,
following advise provided by members on here, i  applied for my grandads war medals via email, they responded the next day saying yes i can have them! and a few weeks later they arrived!

so thanks all

note to others if the medal card has annotation on it that might read "Rtd" (some times its is difficult to decipher annotations) it is worth just emailing a copy of the card to the medals office and they can confirm if the medals were returned for some reason and whether or not you can apply to receive them.

regards

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 15 December 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Well done,delighted you got them  ;D
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
gillon/sligo    mcaffrey/fermanagh
young glasgow/ireland

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 15 December 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
thought i would share my good news,
following advise provided by members on here, i  applied for my grandads war medals via email, they responded the next day saying yes i can have them! and a few weeks later they arrived!

so thanks all

note to others if the medal card has annotation on it that might read "Rtd" (some times its is difficult to decipher annotations) it is worth just emailing a copy of the card to the medals office and they can confirm if the medals were returned for some reason and whether or not you can apply to receive them.

regards

Good to hear of another successful application.  Well done.

It sounds like the application process is running well and much quicker than when I applied (it took me over 9 months).

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline mack66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 04 February 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to your post I also applied for my great uncle's medals. Only one was returned so they sent that which is great.

However, the medal card says the other two medals were not returned yet my grandfather and his sister said didn't have medals in their possession when they died. Wonder what happened to them if they were actually delivered - lost or even pawned / sold even!!

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to your post I also applied for my great uncle's medals. Only one was returned so they sent that which is great.

However, the medal card says the other two medals were not returned yet my grandfather and his sister said didn't have medals in their possession when they died. Wonder what happened to them if they were actually delivered - lost or even pawned / sold even!!

That's good news even though you only got one.

Presumably there are no comments on the medal card against the two that you say were not returned.  Which one was marked as returned?

I got two of my grandfather's medals returned (Victory medal & British War medal) but not the Star medal (this was not shown as returned on his medal card). I originally thought all his medals would have been sent out together but this was not the case.  The MoD told me that Star medals started being issued from late 1918 but that the Victory & British War medal only started being issued in 1922 and were sent out together.

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Offline mack66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 05 February 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm

I didn't know they sent them out as you described. My grandfather was entitled to 3 1914/15 star, gen madal and vic medal.

I git the Victory Medal recently. Strange it was returned - because it was sent out with Gen medal as you said.

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Just to add to your posts. My grandfathers brother had his 1914 star returned, presumably due to the fact he was killed in 1915, however after reading your post I applied, sent a copy of medal card and around 2 months later.......got a 1914 star impressed with his name, number etc.
So, thanks for putting this post on the forum!