Author Topic: 1939 'see p 17' - what does this mean  (Read 7249 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1939 'see p 17' - what does this mean
« on: Wednesday 17 February 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Using the free access to the 1939 register with my findmypast subscription, I found my parents. I have searched for these queries in earlier RC 1939 posts but can find no answer.

(1) Against my father's name in the left hand column and again on the right hand page is 'See p 17' in red with a red line through his whole entry. He died in 1992 so after the register had ceased being updated. How do I locate page 17 & if I can't what is the significance, please?

(2) My mother's birthday is written correctly as 31 Aug in the day & month columns but 29 has been written later over the 31 with the letters TYA over the year. What do these mean, please?

Thanks for any help, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 'see p 17' - what does this mean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
From some of the entries I looked at for other peopledown at Kew, your father would have been listed on another page as well, p17, was he living at another address but listed as being at home with his parents?

But you don't always get the extra entry as unless you know who was also on P17, you won't find him as the database is searchable by name or address. He might also have been in the armed forces already, those people were listed on another sets of forms, not available.

Have you tried doing a really basic name search to see if he's mis-transcribed?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the ideas dawn.

He was married & listed with my mother but not also with his widowed mother whose entry I have accessed, nor in the armed forces. He was however, a tool setter and spent WW2 in the UK as a reserved occupation converting peacetime machinery to make armaments. So perhaps he was on a training course somewhere?

I will do some more searches using less name info but correct dob.

ADDED: ....except the site is temporarily down  ;D
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
AHA...I went to 'next related image'  & there he was with same address, same schedule number on a page with mixed addresses & schedule numbers; many closed entries but 3 others visible were engineers or lathe operators but also 1 entertainer & 3 'UDD' obviously 'unpaid domestic duties'.