Author Topic: 1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?  (Read 81483 times)

Offline Catling121

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?
« on: Wednesday 17 February 16 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I thought I'd start a general discussion about some annotations that are littered across the 1939 register and what they might mean.

For example, I've found two people, Henry Shepherd and Elizabeth A Shepherd, in Erith.
They have dates of birth against them, but in pencil are written alternatives, next to the writing "C.G.D. 21.4.42" which I'm assuming is the date of the update.

But firstly, why would their dates of birth change, what evidence did they have for this, and what on earth does C.G.D. mean?

All answers welcome. And if anyone else has any mysterious lettering, let's have it.

Cheers,

Chris
Sims - Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire
Townsend - Oxfordshire
Empson - Oxfordshire
Jackson - Northamptonshire
Mowbray - Herefordshire
Slade - Warwickshire, Middlesex, Devon
Fisher - Warwickshire
Mills - Warwickshire
Catling - Oxfordshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Good idea Chris to start an abbreviations thread. Spooky - I posted this morning about some abbreviations!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=741823.msg5884658

I have dob change - just the day, to an incorrect one - with TYA over the year. I suppose CGD & TYA could be the initials of the 'editor'? But I don't think accountability & audit trails were that common in those days.

I did find UDD - Unpaid Domestic Duties.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
The books were annotated by a lot of different people for about 60 years, for a variety of purposes. There is no master list of what the abbreviations and code letters mean, but you can sometimes hazard a guess. A three-letter code might be an area code, where a person moved to another district (exact addresses were not updated on the Central Register). Sometimes a code might be the serial number of the form used to notify a change of some kind - these often start with 'NR' then a number. 

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
maybe some help on the new 1939 Hints & Tips note on LostCousins ?

http://lostcousins.com/newsletters2/1939special.htm

Offline axial1680

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
I have found in two instances where a woman later re married the new surname is written in green above her name. One of these was in the 1980s! The other was in 1965 and it has 1/2 M/C written then the date 28.11.66, followed by NR no idea what that means as I looked up the marriage and it was 1965. Its a great help though.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
The Enumerator mixed up my Great Grandparents DOB's, but no one ever corrected this. I didn't find out until I bought their Birth Certificates.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
I have found in two instances where a woman later re married the new surname is written in green above her name. One of these was in the 1980s! The other was in 1965 and it has 1/2 M/C written then the date 28.11.66, followed by NR no idea what that means as I looked up the marriage and it was 1965. Its a great help though.

The date is when the adjustment was done.  The register was updated with new married names until the early 1990's
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poissonrouge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 13:25 BST (UK) »

The date is when the adjustment was done.  The register was updated with new married names until the early 1990's

I have a similar finding. The delay in the dates does relate to the date of update (some say the date on the form filled in by the applicant) but I wondered if the M/C related to the marriage certificate to distinguish the change from other alterations because of name change by Deed Poll or adoption that were also noted? The final initials in my entry were LA, could these be codes for different geographical areas or NHS registration areas?
Fish, Whittle, Rushton, Burgess, Aspinall, Charnock, Dodd, Fantom - Cheshire/Lancs.
Garlick - Lancs/Worcs/Warwicks.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

Was it Lancashire  :-\  I see one I have in 1960 has LA
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk