Author Topic: 1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?  (Read 42620 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 16 October 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
It could well be, Ruskie. As the additions are all written in by hand,  a / can often look like an I.

Life would be so much simpler if all handwritten documents were written in a uniform way, perhaps capitals which tend to be pretty much the same whatever style of handwriting. But then what would we do. I guess it would take away the joy of the hunt. LOL. ;D ;D
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 06 November 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I think I fell foul of the copyright issue on my first attempt at posting in here (should have read the FAQ/sticky's first!).

I have an entry that i'm currently looking into where a males surname name has been crossed out and replaced with an alternative surname.  Its unclear as to why this has happened, however the annotation B.C. I.E. or B.C. I.C appears in red ink.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Within the probate, both surnames was declared, and I have found a possible burial site under his alternative name rather than expected!

Thanks in advance

Harding/Jones/Walters/Coates in Stoke on Trent
Calderbank/Baxendale/Swift/Massey in Chorley and Standish

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 06 November 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
There weren't any standardised minor abbreviations but I'd think that B C would be birth certificate. I.E could be In Error and, if C. maybe Change    or.....................??
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 06 November 21 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I think I fell foul of the copyright issue on my first attempt at posting in here (should have read the FAQ/sticky's first!).

I have an entry that i'm currently looking into where a males surname name has been crossed out and replaced with an alternative surname.  Its unclear as to why this has happened, however the annotation B.C. I.E. or B.C. I.C appears in red ink.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Within the probate, both surnames was declared, and I have found a possible burial site under his alternative name rather than expected!

Thanks in advance

Hi

Where I can't offer an answer to the initials I would consider any number of reasons for the name change. Maybe the person was adopted, illegitimate having been given the step father's name and later found out the birth name,  change of name to start a new life. Perhaps the initials are for birth certificate and identity change. I have come across people who maybe weren't aware the father wasn't the biological father and took the step father's name and later discovered their actual surname. Another ancestor left his family, changed his name and started a new family.
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 07 November 21 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your pointers :) Birth Cert Identity check/error make sense in this context

I also thought if it was IC, it could also be identify card?

I will order what I expect to be his death and marriage certs as maybe more clues in them.
Harding/Jones/Walters/Coates in Stoke on Trent
Calderbank/Baxendale/Swift/Massey in Chorley and Standish

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 07 November 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your pointers :) Birth Cert Identity check/error make sense in this context

I also thought if it was IC, it could also be identify card?

I will order what I expect to be his death and marriage certs as maybe more clues in them.

Hi

Yes, of course, id card would fit. I hope you solve the mystery. Sometimes it's not what you expect. I've become accustomed to considering the unexpected. Good luck.
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Andyc3876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 07 November 21 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Can any tell me what a red asterisk / star next to a name might mean? I can find an entry with a matching first name and dob, but different surname, and I can't find a marriage certificate to match the two people.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 25 November 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Can I jump on this please?

This is my grandfather's 1939 entry. His birth date was 16/6/1909, which is confirmed by his birth certificate, my mum, and the initial 1939 register.

I'm reading this annotation as "birth day correct", "birth month should be September", "birth year correct" and then the initials of NJH and the date the "correction" was made. But that's obviously wrong.

Or does NJH have another meaning? (Could just about be NJA)
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline Andyc3876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 25 November 21 09:49 GMT (UK) »
It looks like that was the date the annotation was made, and the intials refer to the district office where the amendment was made.