Author Topic: Drapery Shop in Manchester  (Read 649 times)

Offline Unbelievable

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drapery Shop in Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 January 22 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Great.
How would you like to proceed?

J

Offline westher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 January 22 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I have very little information about George Frederick Gee and his two sons. My interest has been with William Ernestís family after his death.  I would be grateful for any information you have about Gees Drapery.  All I know is that it was started by William Gee and his wife Martha Yarker who was a formidable lady.

Offline Unbelievable

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 January 22 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westher.
I wonder if you are related to the Gees?
My information is that Fred (GF Gee) took over the business with his brother Ernest and ran it for some time. There was a parting of the ways at some stage and Ernest went into business on his own - something similar I suspect as he described himself as a retail draper.
Sons of both families continued to run their separate family businesses; Gees on Medlock Street closed in the 1960s when the site was acquired for the building of the Mancunian Way and Ernest's sons ran their (bedding) business in Altrincham until the 1970s.
The original Gees business expanded into manufacturing and, I understand, had contracts to supply uniforms etc to many local businesses including Kelloggs, Morris Motors, Mother's Pride bakery.
I too gather Martha was quite a driving force in the early days of the business and deduce that Fred Gee drove the later expansion (and profitability) into manufacturing. The 1901 census demonstrates to me the energy and focus that went into the business as all the family are living at home and working for Martha.

I have struggled to find traces of William Gee prior to the 1871 census and wonder where he was brought up; relatives tell me that his parents were Samuel Gee (1821-1871) and Elizabeth Owen (b1821) but with so many Gees in the Manchester area I have been unable to satisfactorily link William to them nor to his grandparents assumed to be William Gee of Latchford (1770-1822) and Martha Stockton (1775-1841).
Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Regards
Jeremy

Offline westher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello J
Thank you for your information re the manufacturing of uniforms.  I must look at the 1901 census.
Samuel and Elizabeth Gee are the Parents of William Gee.  Samuel was born in Latchford so your relatives may well be right.