Author Topic: Connecting mobile phone to network  (Read 362 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Connecting mobile phone to network
« on: Monday 22 February 16 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Another phone problem ....  ;)

Having bought my new mobile I'm mostly pleased with it but there's one thing causing me a problem.

When I used my old mobile I could do a search through my browser and it would immediately connect to give me the results I'd selected, whether I was at home or out and about. Since getting my new phone it seems that it wants to use my home broadband instead of connecting via my phone network. I changed the settings on Mobile Networks to Data Roaming then selected my network from Mobile Networks. This seemed to have worked when I was away from home but back home it was trying to connect to my home broadband again. Not sure what it would do if I tried it again away from home.

Am I doing something wrong here?  ??? I just want a connection like I used to get on my old phone.  :(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting mobile phone to network
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I've understood the problem correctly, but the helpful young man in the Vodafone shop told me my phone would automatically connect to any broadband network it recognises (therefore free) rather than using the mobile data allowance (which may incur charges if you go over the limit). If for example your phone wants to update various apps & your browser automatically (mine usually does it at night) then you'd want it to be doing that via your home broadband not your mobile data.

I turn my mobile data off most of the time unless I'm out and about & need it. But having BT broadband means I can access BT hotspots automatically which is very useful.

Apologies if I've answered a question you didn't ask!

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
From my phone I think it connects first to my home Wifi and if it can't reach that then to the network if I have Data Roaming on. This means that when I am home it doesn't use up any of the data allowance. So as long as you leave Data Roaming on, I think it should switch back to that as soon as you are out of reach of your network, try switching your router off and see what happens.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, that's exactly what I was asking.  :)

Thanks for your very clear replies, it all makes sense now and it looks like I've set it up correctly.  :) :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales