Author Topic: Alexander Campbell and Catherine McLean married in Tiree, Argyllshire 3 Feb 1808  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Sharon Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

I am researching this family to prepare for A' Bhuain, Tiree's Homecoming in May.  Alexander and Catherine's weather-wise son Malcolm discouraged his son Archibald from going out fishing on July 7, 1856.  Because Archibald did not go out to sea that day, he and the other fishermen who would have been on his boat were not personally involved in Tiree's Great Fishing Tragedy of 1856. My GGG Grandfather John Campbell was one of 9 men and boys who died during the event.  I'm trying to discover whether Archibald (born c. 1775?) and my GGGG Grandfather Dougald Campbell (born before 1768) might have been related.

Roots Chat member jcmac is a descendant of Alexander's, so I would especially like to hear from him by email:   Sharon Clayton at (*)

See Facebook Group Tiree 2016 - Balephuil Commemoration for more information. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline tatt1994

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Campbell and Catherine McLean married in Tiree, Argyllshire 3 Feb 1808
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
the date of birth you've given must be wrong - he'd be a bit old for fishing? Ancestry suggests 1808 for Archibald's birthdate, based on someone's family tree.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Campbell and Catherine McLean married in Tiree, Argyllshire 3 Feb 1808
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Quote "Roots Chat member jcmac is a descendant of Alexander's, so I would especially like to hear from him by email" 

Here is a link to the thread by jcmac- click on his name and it takes you to a personal message screen, click pm and that will take you to a screen where you can message in private., Hope this helps.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=704555.0

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Sharon...

Just for your interest...   I have a lot of ancestors on Tyree and this URL is extremely interesting.
http://www.keithdash.net/

Good luck..., Iain.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Sharon Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you, Iain - I have been spending hours on the Tiree Genealogy website every week.  The fact that is searchable greatly reduces my research time.  My husband and I will attend the Tiree Homecoming May 22 - 27, 2016.  In case you're interested in knowing more about it, here are some weblinks:

www.tireehomecoming.com
A' Bhuain Facebook event
Tiree 2016 - Balephuil Commemoration Facebook group.

I noticed that one of your ancestral names is MacArthur. Malcolm MacArthur was one of the men who drowned as a result of the Balephuil Fishing Tragedy on 7 July 1856.  My GGG Grandfather John Campbell was the eldest of the 9 men and boys who died as a result of a terrible storm that blew the fishing skiffs away from Tiree.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Thought this site may be of interest to someone?

I have only scrolled through some of it but there's quite a few MI's

http://www.tireegraves.org.uk/category/grave-stones/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Sharon Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie,

Thank you for guiding me so patiently so that my response will appear as part of this conversation thread.  I was aware of the weblink you sent me because I found it through Tiree's archives
An Iodhlann.  http://www.aniodhlann.org.uk/

The archive's website is a wealth of information for anyone with Tiree roots.

Perhaps it's a good thing it's taken me so long to "get it", because I just noticed that you have MacKinnon and MacPhail ancestors in Canada.  Were they Tiree folk who emigrated to Nova Scotia?  If yes, you will want to go to the Facebook page Tiree Ancestral Roots.  There is a LONG conversational thread started by Robert MacPhail, who lives in Nanaimo B.C.  Through that conversation, several MacPhail cousins - one in the Boston area and two in Australia, are communicating with Robert and me on email.   One of those MacPhails married a Margaret MacMillan, also born in Tiree.  We will probably need DNA tests to prove it, but I suspect that Margaret was a sister of my  MacMillan GGGG Grandfather. 

Thanks again for your determined interest.  Sharon Clayton