Author Topic: James Jordan  (Read 445 times)

Offline Janet J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Jordan
« on: Thursday 25 February 16 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a James Jordan, who was born roughly about 1840, father of George Jordan who was born in 1864 and died in 1927 in Birmingham. On George's marriage certificate it reads that his father is James Jordan and he is a Tailor this was in 1887. I also don't know if George had any siblings or who is mother was.
Could anyone enlighten me please. Thanks.

Janet J

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: James Jordan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Could you please give us census details for George in 1891. Who did he marry and who were the witnesses to the marriage
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janet J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Rosie
In 1891 George was married to Alice and with a son Wallis (actual spelling is Wallace). They were living in Farm Street Birmingham.
On the marriage certificate:  George Jordan married Alice Maria Morris in 1887 their witnesses were Alfred Albert Stokes and Jane Morris.

Janet J

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I would perhaps be suspicious that James Jordan doesn't really exist as George's father.

On the 1881 census, I think I have found George in the household of his older brother William.  His mother (Eliza C Jordan) is also there RG11; Piece: 2999; Folio: 6; Page: 5

We can trace Eliza, William and George back to the 1871 census RG10; Piece: 3122; Folio: 80; Page: 24

That is obviously the earliest census with George on, but we can look at Eliza and William in 1861 RG 9; Piece: 2160; Folio: 26; Page: 4 and see that they are with Eliza's parents - father's name is James, and he is a tailor. It might well be that Eliza got pregnant outside of wedlock, and that when George came to get married himself, he gave his grandfather's name to give him an air of respectability.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
There may be a happy ending for Eliza - marriage on May 8th 1882 at St Mattias' Church to George Hayes.

Offline Janet J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information, I looked at Eliza C quite a few times but ignored her, I will now go and fill all this information you have given me into my family tree.

Jane J