Author Topic: McQueeny and Cullen families from Ireland  (Read 1716 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
McQueeny and Cullen families from Ireland
« on: Friday 26 February 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
While tracing my great grandmother's family, I've come across the surnames McQueeny and Cullen.
This is based on the marriage of Catherine Mcqueeny and Thomas Cullen on 10th February 1873 at St Bede's, Rotherham, Yorkshire, England. According to the census I have for them, both Thomas Cullen and Catherine Mcqueeny were born in Ireland (I don't have a more precise location than that).

Catherine Mcqueeny's father was called 'Jacobi' Mcqueeny (which I believe translates to James Mcqueeny, and Catherine was born circa 1855 in Ireland).
Thomas Cullen's father was called Yoannis (Joannis?) Cullen (which I believe translates to John Cullen, and Thomas was born circa 1852 in Ireland).

I've been unable to find a baptism for either Catherine Mcqueeny or Thomas Cullen, but any help on that would be much appreciated.
Please note, Mcqueeny can be spelled a number of different ways - MacQueeny, MacQueeney, McQueeney, and originates from MacSweeney).
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McQueeny and Cullen families from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

There is a McWeeney family in 1861 3503/81/18 and the same family as McWeeny family in 1871 4703/34/21

The parents are James and Elizabeth and Catherine is born Rotherham.

Have you seen this family?
Do you have the marriage details with James' occupation, address and witnesses?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 16 15:45 GMT (UK) »
In 1861, the McWeeneys are living in Taylor or Hoylands yard, Millgate.
In 1881, the Cullens are in Upper Millgate.

Catherine is shown as 12 yrs in 1861 and 21 yrs in 1871. She is shown as born Rotherham so should be in 1851.

There is a marriage in 1848 in Ecclesall Bierlow where James McWeeny and Elizabeth Larkin are on the same page.

I can't see a Catherine McWeeny birth but there is an Ellen MacWeeny in 1849  :-\

Do you have a child's birth certificate with mother's name?

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
In 1861, the McWeeneys are living in Taylor or Hoylands yard, Millgate.
In 1881, the Cullens are in Upper Millgate.

Catherine is shown as 12 yrs in 1861 and 21 yrs in 1871. She is shown as born Rotherham so should be in 1851.

There is a marriage in 1848 in Ecclesall Bierlow where James McWeeny and Elizabeth Larkin are on the same page.

I can't see a Catherine McWeeny birth but there is an Ellen MacWeeny in 1849  :-\

Do you have a child's birth certificate with mother's name?

Thank you so much for your help.
Unfortunately I don't have a child's certificate with the mother's name.
It does seem possible that the McWeeny family you've mentioned is right - I'd found the census after her married to Thomas Cullen (the 1881 census) which had said she was born in Ireland - but I'm beginning to suspect that it was possibly just Thomas Cullen who was born in Ireland (and for some reason she's been recorded as being born in Ireland too - that would explain the marriage in Rotherham I suspect).

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1871 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBCB-BNX

It certainly looks as though it is your Catherine. You need a birth certificate from one of the children and then when you have mother's name, you could send for the marriage certificate.

Do you have James' occupation from the marriage certificate or have you only seen the church record?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 16 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Here is William McWeeney with Larkin grandparents

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7GW-F2Z

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1871 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBCB-BNX

It certainly looks as though it is your Catherine. You need a birth certificate from one of the children and then when you have mother's name, you could send for the marriage certificate.

Do you have James' occupation from the marriage certificate or have you only seen the church record?

Thank you for the link, I'm afraid I've only seen the index record for the marriage of Catherine (McQueeny) McWeeney and Thomas Cullen, so I only know their parent's names and not their occupations. However, I think that ought to be my next port of call.  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you really need certificates.

Finding William with Larkin grandparents does seem very positive.  :)