Author Topic: Martha (Matty) CraigWeir/Black  (Read 919 times)

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha (Matty) CraigWeir/Black
« on: Sunday 28 February 16 08:25 GMT (UK) »
 On the marriage cert of my great grandparents Joseph Black and Matty Weir in 1858,it actually says Matty Weir alias Craig. I had presumed (foolishly) that it meant she was a widow of ?? Craig.Her fathers name on the cert. is Joseph Weir. Years and years of searching before I finally solved the puzzle.She was the "natural" daughter of a James Craig and Hanna ??  She must have been brought up by,or adopted by, Joseph Weir (possibly related some way)
I have found the death cert of Joseph Black .He died in 1914,but no amount of searching,using Black/Weir/Craig and combinations of Matty (on marr cert),or Martha (on registration of last 3 children)can I find her death. She 's not on 1901 or 1911 census,so she must have died prior to that.Can anyone help me find her death> They were living possibly in Derriaghy/Lisburn area.After her death Joseph Black went to live with his daughter at Lambeg,where he died.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha (Matty) CraigWeir/Black
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 08:42 GMT (UK) »
When is the last time you've found a mention of Matty? Could she have died before 1864? Matty is more often a nickname for Matilda- have you searched for her under that name?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 16 07:47 GMT (UK) »
 Her last child,Agnes, was born 1873, (Joseph Black and Martha)so she must have died after that.
I have tried with Matilda,just in case,but nothing.
I have found absolutely nothing more on Agnes either,and have wondered if she and Matty died soon after her birth,but searching around 1873/4 has produced nothing either.
Thanks for interest - maybe you'll be luckier than me.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 16 08:48 GMT (UK) »
? Agnes Black, age 3, died 1876 Lisburn district (GRONI gives death date as 13 Mar.1876 Dunmurry sub-district)
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR1V-F3L
(Agnes' birth https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGC8-6SZ)
(Elizabeth's birth in 1867 is in Dunmurry sub-district https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F51K-1Z7)

? Martha Black, age 60, died 1900 Lisburn district (GRONI- 6 Feb.1900 Dunmurry sub-district)
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT64-DZD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 16 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Someone else trying to trace the Black family? a fews year old so by now may have more details than what's posted

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=16318&p=localities.britisles.ireland.ant.general

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey.
I have been through so many sites,including "familysearch"but couldn't find this info.(I've been having problems with "family search"for some time)
Joseph and Matty's last 3 children (Joseph,Elizabeth and Agnes) were reg'd in Dunmurry,so this is definitely Agnes and Matty's death.I thought if I got Matty's death it would be great,and now I have both of them,thanks to you.Now I can get 2 more certificates.
Thanks again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 16 07:52 GMT (UK) »
To find the death I just checked the civil registration index on FamilySearch with the names then narrowed down the choices. You do know that you can view the certificates instantly on GRONI's site for only a few pounds once you purchase some credits?

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 06:35 BST (UK) »

Yes I know about GRONI's site and will be using it.  Many thanks,Aghadowey.