Author Topic: Back Up Your Research!  (Read 6164 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Back Up Your Research!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 March 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
This all very interesting but lacks the one thing many of us needs. How precisely do we carry out a back up?
My particular problem is getting urgent. having changed broadband provider I now find that the previous supplier intends to close down the email address. I therefore need to copy many emails with their attachments quickly to avoid losing many hours research covering a long time period.

For files and folders:

1) Buy a flash drive (aka a memory stick, USB pen, etc.) from Amazon, PCWorld, Tesco, etc. 16GB should be plenty, but get a larger one if you have thousands of photos.

2) Insert the drive into a spare USB port on your computer; they will normally be at the side or back of a laptop or front or back of a desktop.

3) Open a Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) window (I'm assuming you know how to do this).

4) Find the location where you important files are saved (probably My Documents) in the left hand pane and left click on it to show the contents in the right hand pane.

5) Position the mouse pointer on a folder to copy (e.g. Family Tree) and then right click and, while holding the mouse button down, drag the mouse across and release it on top of the USB drive in the left hand pane. Release the mouse and select Copy Here (not Move Here!).

Emails are a whole different issue I'm afraid; I suggest that you save each individual attachment to a folder in your family tree folder and back up from there. Alternatively, set up a Gmail email address and forward each email to it.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mayfly663

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I learnt my lesson 2 yrs ago when I lost the HDD on a 7mth old laptop. Since then I always use an USB flash drive and I back that up to another external HDD. Please I did this last week as my USB went kaput this morning.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I learnt my lesson 2 yrs ago when I lost the HDD on a 7mth old laptop. Since then I always use an USB flash drive and I back that up to another external HDD. Please I did this last week as my USB went kaput this morning.

Yes, it can happen after 1 day, 1 month, 1 year or 10 years. The only thing that is certain is that a hard drive WILL pack up one day, taking all of your data with it. And as you discovered, a USB flash drive can go kaput too...