Author Topic: Look up Request - Birth/Baptism for John Way in Exeter around mid to late 1700's  (Read 3036 times)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request - Birth/Baptism for John Way in Exeter around mid to late 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Remember that there were 2 John WAYs buried - one in 1835 and the other in 1837, both were of an age that made them born in either 1773 or 1774. How do you know which one is yours, and consequently, which one is the son of Walter & Anne?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request - Birth/Baptism for John Way in Exeter around mid to late 1700's
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi DOB7

Regarding the two John Ways / Weys buried one in 1835 and one in 1837 yes that is a good point that you have brought up, and I am also wondering which which one is mine  and also to mention what was the name of the Church that Walter Wey and Anne Jedd married in was it a church in St Georges parish ?

Thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was Exeter St George - see http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Exeter/StGeorge/index.html
Do you have any information about where your John WAY was living? The one buried in 1835 had Coombe St as his residence. The one buried in 1837 had Paul Street as his. There was also a John WAY buried 25 Feb 1836 at Exeter St Edmund aged 33 - residence: New Bridge.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi DOB7

well his daughter Ann married William Gunn 5th Feb 1821 St Davids parish church, Exeter, Devon. So working back I have who I guess are the right parents,  a John Way married Ann Jones in 25 July 1791 but in St Mary Major Church and wondered why they didnt marry in St Davids Parish Church just looked at a photos of both of these churches online I hope these are the right parents feeling a bit confused by so many John Way's at the moment.. but maybe this was Ann Jones parish church.. on John and Ann's marriage record his occupation is a hairdresser and I searched and found this link http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Exeter/StJohn/StJohn1803.html  but it states John was a Shoemaker and there's another George Way is a hairdresser.  I was just wondering if this was the same John Way ?   this is the only information I have been able to find, and no I havn't found out where he lives DOB7, so any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 16 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi DOB7

Just looked at Ann Way/e baptism record St David, Exeter 4 March 1804 it gives parents John Way and Elizabeth not Ann Jones sorry about this, so will need to find out their marriage record. But still need to find John Way's Baptism if you can find one thats in St Davids Church Exeter. Appreciate your help DOB7. If you'll pardon me for saying this I think ive lost my way.

Thanks again

Elizlloyd

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi DOB7 and claire,

On Findmypast site I have found 2 Ann Way Baptisms 7th June 1795 St John Church, Exeter gives parents John Way and Ann,   and the second Ann Way Baptised 4th March 1804 St David, Exeter, gives parents John Way and Elizabeth. I would welcome any help in determining which is the right Ann Way for my 3 x Great Grandmother..

Going by age at marriage from baptism date and year
Ann Way baptised 7 June 1795 would be 26 years when she was married.
Ann Way baptised 4 March 1804 would be 17 years would she be too young to get married, when she was married. and I see she was baptised in the same church as my Ann Waye was married so this could be the same one.  Also it states her parents as John Way and Elizabeth.  It would be good to find a copy of  John Way and Elizabeth's marriage record.  For my family records.

My Ann Waye (my Great Great Great Grandmother) married in St Davids Church, Exeter to William Gunn 5th Feb 1821.

I appreciate any help you can give with the above.

Many thanks

Elizlloyd

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
This topic is a great find for me, I hope it is not too old for a further discussion.
I have on the outer tip of our tree a John WAY and Elizabeth who had Susan/susannah in 1808 who first married Thomas Brinsmead in Exeter in 1829 then married William Brinsmead in St Pancras in 1842 and finally settled in Monmouthshire.
John and Elizabeth  also had William in 1816 he married Ann Brinsmead in St Pancras in 1843.
Their youngest son Thomas Squire WAY was born in 1820  was Elizabeth nee Squire?
On the baptisms of the later children John was a publican or Victual in Paul Street Exeter so I assume he was the one buried in 1837.
Has anyone found a marriage for John and Elizabeth or a baptism for John?
John and Elizabeth also had a Joanna now as it happens on a different twig on our tree we have a
Johanna WAY married to William MITCHELL in Ashreigney in 1794 I wonder if these link up with the Exeter WAYs?
Finally I have Mary Way born about 1797 either in Chawleigh or Lapford according to which census you look at she first married John Chappell in Chawleigh in 1812 he sadly died in 1813 and she then married John THORN 1820 in Chulmleigh I can't find a baptism for her is she connected to the others?
Love to hear what others know about these people it would be great to tie up a few loose ends
thank you
Trees

Added I think John Way married Elizabeth SQUIRE in Exeter St Petrock on 11 June 1802 His name seems ti be spelt Waey but transcribed as Macey!
also found Abbot Way born Ontario married to Harriet FULFORD who was born in Buckland Brewer
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 07:23 BST (UK) »
Now I'm confused  John Way of Paul St was buried in St Paul's 1836 age 64 giving a birth in 1773
John way was baptised in St  Mary Major to Walter and Ann in 1773 but !
John Way married Ann Jones in 25 July 1791 but in St Mary Major Church
he would have been 18 a bit young but not impossible

John Waey married Elizabeth Squire in Exeter, St Petrock in 1802 he is definitely the one living in Paul Street from where he had Thomas Squire WAY baptised in 1820
we know there is a second John around so have I got the right baptism for My John ie the one who married Elizabeth Squire?

Ah I see John baptised 1835 in St Mary Major was born 1774 so he must have been son of Walter and Ann did he marry Ann Jones but if so why were their children baptised in St john not St Mary Mjr? and who was Elizabeth's John? back to square 1

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
Ok I think I have found Elizabeth way nee Squire in 1851 in St Mary Arches as mother to Ann MAY born 1806 Exeter  this must be Ann baptised in 1804. Elizabeth was born 1776 St Giles which ties up nicely with my tree which centers on St Giles in the Wood. also she is widow and a retired inkeeper which ties nicely to John of Paul St living with her daughter Ann May. Ann married Richard May 1825 in St Paul's so yor can rule out Ann daughter of John and Elizabeth born 1804 Elizlloyd

So I have John b 1773 marrying Elizabeth Squire in 1802 being a publican on baptisms of his children living in Paul St he died 1836 and Elizabeth died in 1852 buried in St Mary Arches
She may be the Elizabeth SQUIRE bap 1779 to Henry and Elizabeth
I wonder which pub they kept there seem to be several in Paul St at the time.

mcmullin.me.uk