Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67692 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Don't know if you would be interested, FindMyPast has a free weekend coming up 22 - 25 January.

When you next visit Yorkshire, I expect afternoon tea at Bettys  :D :D :D LOL

Sorry we haven't cracked this one.......  yet!

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, both

Will look-in on FindMyPast.

It seems a few Registers have not been filmed.

Just had a reply from East Yorkshire re St Marys [Scarborough] ...

"294 (Brass) Here lieth interred JOSEPH / HOOD who died the 12th October 173(-)aged 53 years"

"TPR 173(-) Not found in Register"

If East Yorkshire are correct that they could not find this Joseph Hood interment in the [burial] Register, it seems the Memoral plaque is the only record.

When death Civil Registration started in 1837, some felt that complied with the Law and some Burial Registers stop. However, when a new Law came in, in 1858 even more Registers were handed over to the Registrar General, which went to the P.R.O., now in the TNA, Kew, RG series.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »

When death Civil Registration started in 1837, some felt that complied with the Law and some Burial Registers stop. However, when a new Law came in, in 1858 even more Registers were handed over to the Registrar General, which went to the Public Record Office, now in the RG series.

The RG series are on line http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/  I'm not a subscriber, but did do a free search and couldn't find George

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 18:43 GMT (UK) »

When death Civil Registration started in 1837, some felt that complied with the Law and some Burial Registers stop. However, when a new Law came in, in 1858 even more Registers were handed over to the Registrar General, which went to the P.R.O., now in TNA, Kew, RG series.

The RG series are on line http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/  I'm not a subscriber, but did do a free search and couldn't find George

Thanks Goughy

Yes, I got that link and tried it, thanks for re-checking though.

Discovered, one of the Yorks Record Offices, have some Dissenters Registers too (for West Yorks), with a complete list and those online are highlighted and those not online can be seen in person.

I was really pleased to see George being elected an Overseer of the Poor in 1838 and hope he was kind and fair to the poor.

We'll visit Yorks again in the Spring.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 January 16 06:10 GMT (UK) »
I would do as much research on the Primitive Methodist first earlier than the Selby 1862 chapel. Selby railway next station East was Cliffe (Next Station) where they had a Primative Methodist Chapel and Wesleyan Methodist chapel both built before 1845..The Leeds and Selby Railway was an early British railway company and first mainline railway within Yorkshire. It was opened in 1834 and end on junction at Selby to Hull - Hull and Selby Railway, 1840............Selby Primative Methodist Chapel opened on ground of a former chapel (House maybe) in 1862. 

I still can't get my head away from ? as below.

Keep Gateshead in mind as trades for Brewers, Tanners and Coopers for Hoods in Trade directories and later censuses of descendants of Hood's.

You have a death 1845, marriage 1815 age 28 born estimated year  1787 and there is that baptism Gateshead 1786 George son of John Hood and there is nothing on a life of this George from --no infant burial , no marriage, no later after marriage children baptisms or a adult burial in that area of this George Hood bapt 1786.

Richard Gibson affairs as a cooper could have brought George to Selby with later advertising for a cooper post 1800 and another John Hood of Gateshead his father.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 January 16 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Selby railway next station East was Cliffe (Next Station) where they had a Primative Methodist Chapel and Wesleyan Methodist chapel both built before 1845..The Leeds and Selby Railway was an early British railway company and first mainline railway within Yorkshire.

There are no burial grounds in Cliffe

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 January 16 19:35 GMT (UK) »

Richard Gibson affairs as a cooper could have brought George to Selby with later advertising for a cooper post 1800 and another John Hood of Gateshead his father.

Thanks both,

Downloaded a while back and printed off Gateshead baptism, as a possible.

Richard Gibson, Cooper, of Wren Lane (1800 Directory), re Bankruptcy, the Certificate was issued in 1810. I agree entirely, George Hood must have taken over Gibson's work/ business.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 January 16 01:25 GMT (UK) »

Thanks both,

Downloaded a while back and printed off Gateshead baptism, as a possible.

Richard Gibson, Cooper, of Wren Lane (1800 Directory), re Bankruptcy, the Certificate was issued in 1810. I agree entirely, George Hood must have taken over Gibson's work/ business.

Regards Mark

your quote : above

' the Certificate was issued in 1810 '

Your stuck without any history of George Hood (died 1845 ) in Selby before pre 1812

?