Author Topic: Buckinghamshire Cadd family  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buckinghamshire Cadd family
« on: Monday 29 February 16 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I am digging into other leads kindly provided by members I thought I'd start this thread. One which has been hanging for over 40 years, and has stumped many Cadd family historians. I cannot see that Rootschat has been called into the case - so here goes!

John Cadd married Catherine Mason in Edgcott, Bucks, in 1743. Catherine's family is traceable in the village back a few generations.

We do not know where John came from.

They founded a family in nearby Hillesden, scene of a notable Civil War siege at the village church which still bears the bullet marks in the door. No Cadd is connected with the village before them.

Within a generation John and Catherine's children - and there were many - spread to neighbouring Preston Bissett, where their youngest Joseph is presumed to have had a relationship with a spinster Mary Howell in 1778. Their child Joseph Cad Howell is my direct ancestor. After the birth nothing is found recorded of both their fates.

The enigma is where did John Cadd come from.

Back in the 1970s I had copies of the early IGI microfiche - remember them? Issues in counties they revealed Cadd families prior to 1740 in Bourton-on-the-Water, Ashleworth, Bideford, and the earliest in the 1500s in Poughill, Devon. Some are also recorded in London.

There are no documnented links to John Cadd who turns up marrying in a sleepy Buckinghamshire village.

The family is vast - with cadet branches emigrating to Australia, then some on to America to become LDS Pioneers, one even marrying the father of Wyatt Earp in later years! Extensive research - and here I thank my distant cousin Robert Heaven who published a book on the family diaspora some 40 years ago - has not cracked this case.

But that was before the Internet.

Can Rootschat crack it?

Many thanks
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Cheshire - Buckwright, Brearly (Stockport)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Warwks - Claydon, Hewens & Arnold, (Tysoe)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Buckinghamshire Cadd family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you approached BucksFHS for a search for your Cadds.

I spent £38 for all baptism/burial/marriage occurrences of my family name, throughout the County of Bucks from the 1530's to 1901, and a good few beyond that, from their Bucks Parish databases. I'm not saying it's wholly complete, but it revealed an astounding amount of my family. 20 A4 pages of burials, 27 pages of baptisms and 60 pages of marriages, in PDF form.

Along with a potential cousin, who family name is the same as mine, but in Oxfordshire, has been trying to connect the two Counties, and after 25 years has failed. And with more information than he had, I am struggling just as much.  With only vague connections with property in Oxfordshire, which is mentioned in a Will, but the property is not named.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Steve

Thanks for this.

I have joined the Bucks FHS - in fact I joined some years ago but then let it lapse. Eve McLoughlin of the Bucks FHS did some work on the family many years ago but she said she hadn't cracked it, and the position has not changed as far as I'm aware.

They have recently sent me some material to sift through - so will delve deeper.

Still open to any other suggestions though!

Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to say that here is another Cadd family descendant who has tried and tried to find out where John Cadd came from!

I'm descended from his son Joseph who had a child with Mary Howell.

My cousin went through the Parish Registers, and Somerset House records back in the 1970s and 80s, without success!
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

Nice to hear from you.

I believe you may have had contact with some of my relatives (Cadds) in the UK years ago. Also with Cathy in the US who I met at a family wedding a few years back.

John Cadd's origins are still a mystery, but perhaps now a little more solvable as more record copies come on line to view. What I have found is that indexers are widely variant in their reading of old script. I always try and view the actual record - sometimes many years before after to see trends in scripts, names, families - and also whether the individual crops up in a later burial, wedding etc.

Saying that I have come across a couple of John Cadd baptisms in close counties around the 1720s. No connections yet, one promising but in Lincolnshire.

Still researching though.

At present on holiday in Europe. Will post a reply - also to your Ellard response. There I agree the source could be William and Mary or Henry. Either way descent is from a 17 Century Ellard another Ellard descendant and I have tracked.

Regards

David

Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I was born in Lancashire, my grandfather was Albert Edward Cadd ......... and yes, I still have some 2nd cousins with surname Cadd in England that I was in contact with some years ago. Some of them also contacted me through GR years ago.

I also have had contact with Cathy. She actually only lives about 100-150 mils of me "below the line", but we have never met in person.

I'm closer to Cadd 1st and 2nd cousins in Australia.

Of course, I have to do almost all of my research online as I have lived outside the UK since 1967 ......... thankfully more and more records are coming online.

In one of my lighter moments long ago, I came to the conclusion that there is a spaceship circulating the earth that drops and picks up our ancestors at random, and that John Cadd had been dropped off just before the 1740 marriage  ;D

Enjoy your holiday

S
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 September 19 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm a few years late but am also a probable descendant of John Cadd. I have started a new but related topic on the Cadds here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819056.new#new

I wonder whether any of you ever made any progress with John Cadd after the discussion here?
HEATH, WOODCOCK (Midlands)
GILBERTSON (Shetland), HOY (Fife)
NEWMAN (Bath), NAILER (North London)
VICCARS, GEORGE (Buckinghamshire)
CHAPMAN, SWAIN (Lincolnshire)
HAIGH, HAGGAS, BEEVERS, WALKER (West Yorkshire)
AYRE (Bishop Auckland), POTTER (Norfolk)

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 September 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi cousin.

A lot of work has been done since then, but unfortunately little progress!

Your message has prompted me finally call for help from this Forum.

Have a look in The Common Room at ‘Where’s John from?’

Regards
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Ireland- King Mayo