Author Topic: Henry Grove  (Read 761 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Grove
« on: Monday 29 February 16 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have a Henry Grove born 4th January 1684 in Taunton, son of a Thomas Grove and his second wife Elizabeth Rowe? Apparently Henry was the 14th child of this couple (all other children died young).

There is a marriage for a Thomas Grove to an Elizabeth Rowe on 19th September 1665 at Newton Saint Cyres, Devon. The previous information also says that Elizabeth Rowe was the sister of a John Rowe of Crediton (1626 - 1677)?

I am trying to find any information on Elizabeth Rowe. There is a possibility she could be the daughter of a John Rowe and his wife Susanna born 1639/1640 at Crediton? Susanna had previously been married to a George Wilton (died 1634 - 1649) and had a daughter Susanna Wilton.

There is also the possibility Elizabeth Rowe could be the daughter of John Rowe and Susanna Wilton who married  on 14th October 1653 at Crediton. This Susanna Wilton would be the daughter of George Wilton and his wife Susanna (maiden name unknown).

Any help or guidance much appreciated! :)

Offline mohun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Grove
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Briefly, it would appear that Thomas, son of George and Anne Wilton of Crediton, married at Colebrooke 3 Feb 1630/1 Susan Yonge (bap 8 Aug 1602 daughter of Robert Yonge of Colebrooke, see 1620 Visitations Devon). Their daughter Susan Wilton was bap at Colebrooke 1631. Thomas Wilton probably died between 1631 and 1634 as he is not mentioned in his father’s Will. His widow Susan appears to have subsequently married John? Rowe senior?, as his second wife, by whom daughter Elizabeth bap 28 Feb 1641/2 at Crediton. The Will of “Anne Wilton of Crediton, widow”, written 3 Nov 1646, pvd 10 Aug 1649 (PROB:11/209) records: “my grandchild Susan Wilton; my daughter in lawe Susanna Rowe’s daughters, Elizabeth & Anne”. Daughter Susan Wilton appears to be the Suzannah Wilton who married John Rowe (junior) 14 Oct 1653 at Crediton. John Rowe, father and son, are fairly well recorded, but unfortunately little by way of personal details. Elizabeth would therefore appear to have been a half-sister of John Rowe junior.
I have more on the Wilton/Larkham and related families and would be happy to forward a pdf.

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Grove
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Many thanks for your reply - sorry for the delay! Yes i would be very interested in any information that you have on the family.
Most trees have the incorrect information for Anne the wife of George Wilton, parents to Patience Wilton who married Thomas Larkham.
Annes maiden name was Dalby and she had two brothers Edward and Thomas. In Thomas Dalbys will of 1619 he mentions his brother in law George Wilton and sister Wilton.
In Anne Wiltons will of 1649 she mentions her kinsman and kinswoman Edward and Judith Dalby - these were the children of her brother Thomas Dalby and his wife Amy Pinke.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Many thanks Andy :)