Author Topic: Thomas Dowling Baptism about 1855  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas Dowling Baptism about 1855
« on: Monday 29 February 16 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I am really sorry, but having picked up my Irish research again after a few years - I am probably going to be a flippin' nuisance with queries and requests. My sincere apologies in advance!

I have a marriage certificate for Thomas Dowling who married Mary Costigan in 1882 in Monasterevin.
Address of groom - Monasterevin - occupation Labourer - of full age - father Richard Dowling, Labourer. This figures - as Thomas names a son Richard and the name comes down the family to present day.

Thomas Dowling appears to have died by the time of the 1901 census. There is a possible death in Athy Reg Dist in 1896 for a Thomas Dowling aged 41. This gives him an approx birth year of around 1855.

I can find NO children baptised around that time with a father Richard Dowling.
The only marriage I can see before then of a Richard Dowling is in 1854 in a Parish named Kill (sounds delightful!)

The trouble is the films of Monastervin Parish Registers are so very faint in places - that they are illegible. As a result I am completely stuck at this point.

Can anyone kindly suggest any records that I may be able to check to confirm this family in the mid 1800s please? I cannot even see any Dowlings in Monasterevin on Griffiths valuation. Possibly they DID move into the area from elsewhere.
Any suggestions (except -- 'go away') will be gratefully received.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dowling Baptism about 1855
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 February 16 15:46 GMT (UK) »

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 February 16 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for responding. However just for information -that link doesn't seem to work.

I suspect it's;

http://registers.nli.ie/

which I have already checked before I posted my query. Unfortunately parts of the years I need are virtually unreadable as they are so faint. In the past I also ordered and viewed the Monasterevin Registers at my local LDS centre. Same thing ---very very faint.

I was really wondering if there are any other records apart from Parish Registers which I may be unaware of (not being an expert on Irish research).
Places of interest;

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 February 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I did see a Rosanna, Richard, Ann and Bridget, with the father Richard Dowling, the Mother is Rose Donlon / Donnelon  1842 to 1846.
All born or Baptised in Kill.
Kill is Church, like the Scottish is Kirk,  Kildare is the Church of Darragh / Dara (however way you want to spell it) it is a lovely village we always called there for a break, but now the M7 is built we by pass it, must call again. You can smell the Truf.
Is this the family you are looking for.
Maggsie

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 February 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear Maggsie -- I just don't know, but thank you.

I was actually looking for the baptism of a Thomas Dowling with an approximate birth year (based on age at death) of 1855 - with a father Richard.

Rose is not a name which comes down in the family names I have found so far.

I did see a marriage in Kill in 1854 of a Richard Dowling to a Margaret Byrns - address of both bride and groom 'Forenaughts', Parish is Kill.

However there are NO baptisms of children born to that couple after that marriage. If they have moved to Monasterevin - maybe they are ALL illegible on the faint filmed records.
Would 'Kill' to Monasterevin be a logical move do you know? (I appreciate you won't be able to give a definitive answer).

I have found a possible death for a Richard Dowling in 1866 - Athy Reg Dist. It's the ONLY thing I have found with his name. I may have to purchase that certificate to see if it provides any clues (if it's the right Richard of course).

Thank you for looking though and finding those records - I will keep them as possibilities.
Places of interest;

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 February 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuations 1853 has 3 Richard Dowlings in Kildare
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
1)Parish Tipper
2)Parish St Michael
3)Parish Johnstown  which seems to be the following who died 1859
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014883/005014883_00119.pdf

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 February 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dathai -- I wondered if there was an Index of Wills anywhere, so knowing that is very helpful.

I have bookmarked that site. (I noticed there was a Probate for a Clotworthy Dobbin on the facing page! Who on earth would name a child Clotworthy? And please don't tell me it's your given name!!)

Thank you for your help - I would hope might Richard would be one of those on Griffiths - I couldn't find one in Monasterevin.

Places of interest;

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Would 'Kill' to Monasterevin be a logical move do you know?
Going north from Athy, you go through 3 villages then it's the next town.
It's not far, even in those days.
Maggsie

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Grateful thanks Maggsie.

I see all the NLI registers have appeared on both Ancestry AND Find My Past today. The images of the dreadful Monasterevin registers on Ancestry are slightly clearer than those on NLI and Find My Past.

Still no Thomas with father Richard though.

I am coming to the conclusion that the family moved INTO Monasterevin. Don't suppose I will ever know.
Thank you again.
Places of interest;