Author Topic: Quaker Family History: Priestman family of Yorkshire  (Read 3509 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quaker Family History: Priestman family of Yorkshire
« on: Tuesday 01 March 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Although I actually went to a Quaker school, I don't come from a 'proper' Quaker family going back generations, and I should really welcome some help. I have John Hedley Thornton Priestman (b.1885) was a career soldier who ended his life as a major-general, but he came from what seems to have been a well-established Quaker family. I have had a preliminary look through on Ancestry and see that his grandfather Samuel in particular was what I remember being referred to as a 'weighty Friend' with a lengthy obituary. Does anyone know more about this family, or could shed light on how they would have felt about John's choice of career?
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Family History: Priestman family of Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 17 09:16 GMT (UK) »
1848 Distress in Ireland. Third Report of the London Committee, with List of Subscriptions.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0kcNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=%22Herbert+Camm+Dickinson%22&source=bl&ots=GZiC-FPf0Z&sig=URMdJlHbPov6ke62g-z7wa4dAw8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP5-zp-rDRAhXm64MKHfpmAtIQ6AEIGjAA

A list of Quakers who made donations in England & Scotland, many are named.

Regards Mark

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Not familiar with your family.

Is John Priestman of Bradford, died 1866, in this image helpful?

Regards Mark

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, this is probably a relative of the Priestmans in whom I was interested but I don't know for sure. It may be relevant to state that I am not a Priestman, nor related to them: a member of the family has come up in the course of an historical research project in which I am involved.

Thank you for your interest!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Coincidentally I was surfing on behalf of a friend for information on a branch of the Priestman family when I came across your query.   I worked for the family firm of Priestman Brothers Ltd., Hull, in the 1950-1960 period.

Here's a link to the Quaker Organisation which sets out their beliefs and from which you will see their thoughts on war.  However, we have to bear in mind that there have been periods in history when every area had to supply men to defend the realm;  a fact which might explain why "your" Priestman enlisted into H.M.Forces.   Knowing how caring "my" Priestman family were, I'm wondering if "your" Priestman thought it was his duty to enlist in order to help lead and keep safe those less fortunate.  You didn't say when he enlisted, for instane the Territorial Army was fomed circa 1911 which entailed one meeting a week and a fortnight camp once a year. 

Have you looked in the London Gazette to see whether he or his family bought him a commission?  In those days the oldest son would have inherited the majority of the family wealth thus a younger sibling would be bought a commission (a commission being an army officer rank) which meant he could circulate amongst young ladies with rich and/or titled fathers from anywhere in the country.

https://www.quaker.org.uk/about-quakers/our-values
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena

Thank you for your response. 'My' Priestman joined the army after 1871, ie after the sale of commissions was abolished. He applied for and got a regular commission and did not enter through the Territorial Army. Relationships with his Quaker family appear to have remained close: it should be born in mind that in both World Wars about a third of Quaker men chose to enlist in the services, a choice which was respected despite the commitment of Quakers to pacifism.
Best wishes
QueenCorgi