Author Topic: anyone fancy a challange?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
anyone fancy a challange?
« on: Wednesday 02 March 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
it is a BIG challenge. my interest has been roused again in the Denigan side of my tree mainly due to the records FindMyPast has made free to view this week. i havent really found anything that fills in my blanks on my tree but i have found some really interesting reading. Denigan with or without the extra 'n' is a unique name and my little lot come from E.D Killashee Ballyclare. a teeny little stretch of land, so you would think they would be easy enough to trace? i have a number of posts about various Denigans and i can give links if anyone wants although they dont really relate to what im looking for here. i will give purely bare bones info as i have them and let others do their thing if they want to. i have no funds right now to purchase any certs or records and im still actually looking at the more recent history of this family. But given the FindMyPast freebies this week and given that i know some rootschatters love a good puzzle i thought i would post this.

Richard Denigan born 1882 killashee ballyclare. father james denigan mother mary ann burke
(i rang the records office to ask for something and a wonderfully helpful lady offered to have a quick look on the computer for Richards birth. it comes up the only richard born in killashee in this time frame is born to james denigan and mary ann burke. very helpful of her, she then proceeds to have a quick look and tells me there are no other james denigan and mary ann burke marriages in the longford area that she can see! i couldnt believe how helpful she was!)

James Denigan born 1827 m mary ann Burke born 1962 1881 in st mels cathedral longford
(i cannot locate the email sent to me with a copy of the marriage cert. i do remember father though for James was Richard Dinnigan. father for mary ann was thomas burke i have found this family with some of the children on the irish 1901 and 1911 census giving me rough DOB's also i remember james occupation on his marriage being ex RIC and in census he says RIC pensioner. further research by another Denigan who paid a hefty sum for his records, shows he was only RIC from 1849-1851 when he was sacked. so he was not a RIC pensioner)

so my question is. who was richard dinnigan. where was he born who was he married too. did james have any siblings?
all of these i dont know. i have all the information as far as i know with regards to james and marys children and i have them in the various census after 1882 and their marriages and children. there is a debate amongst those researching this line as to whether richard Denigan b 1882 actually belongs in this family. everyone in killashee (im told 116 acres) knows of the denigans and their family feuds and fallings out. indeed if i just look at the records under denigan longford, the petty session records show denigan against denigan a lot. yet no one recalls Richard denigan being born to james and mary ann. a gentleman who is also related to me through one of james and marys other children has extensively researched this family and spoken to many residents locally to the farm the denigans owned and he has heard no mention of Richard. my gut feeling on this based on what i know is that richard just upped and left.

richard denigan was my great great grandad. he was not a nice man. im not ashamed to admit this and no one in my family would disagree. i have him on the 1901 census in the uk. from there i can trace everything about him. my gut feeling is he was either sent away and disowned (not unlikely given the kind of man he became) or he decided to leave (again not unlikely given how much the denigans fought) given that the lady at the records office told me what she could see on screen and she was so helpful i am inclined to believe that my facts are true and the stories and leaving Richard out of conversations does not mean he didnt belong to this family.

sorry really long post. anyway. if anyone fancies a go at it, im looking for james denigan/dennigan/dinnigan his birth death and his parents and siblings. ive been looking now for nearly 6 years and still cannot find them.
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline Leeeeeese

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: anyone fancy a challange?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have found a military record on A******y for a Richard Denigan born abt 1883 - He was with the Irish Guards and married Amy Ann Revell on 29 Jun 1902 at St Annes Church, Bermondsey; They have 5 children...

Before I read/respond further; could this be your Man...   :o

Lisa
Turner - Manchester (esp Emily born circa 1853/1855)
Jones - Hulme/Manchester (esp Henry born circa 1847)
Cottrells - Ness/Neston (esp Margaret born circa 1874/1875)
Ellis - Neston and other Cheshire
Butlers - Stockport
Clarke - Whittington, Staffordshire UK and USA

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
yes thank you that is my Richard jr. i have all the information with regards to richard jr, and richards parents and siblings. its ricahrds father james, and his father before that im struggling with
james denigan b 1827 and his father richard dinnigan.

saville foljambe moore

Offline Leeeeeese

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Ooops! teach me to read more carefully...  :-[

Turner - Manchester (esp Emily born circa 1853/1855)
Jones - Hulme/Manchester (esp Henry born circa 1847)
Cottrells - Ness/Neston (esp Margaret born circa 1874/1875)
Ellis - Neston and other Cheshire
Butlers - Stockport
Clarke - Whittington, Staffordshire UK and USA

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
"James Denigan born 1827 m mary ann Burke born 1962 1881 in st mels cathedral longford..."  so they were RC!!

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0170   and surrounding Parishes??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that link hallmark. yes they were RC although quite how holy they were is another thing! i have had a little look through those before and i have to admit i am useless at reading old writing.
this family amazes me. i have only gone back a few generations and there is so much to read and find out. i have to admit though the further into i delve the harder it is becoming, with new variants of the name being added all the time.

i only really posted this now because i know some of the people here love having a good deep elve into records. i have accepted myself that i may never get too far back with this family, but if i can it would be brilliant.

saville foljambe moore

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that James 1827 may have had a previous marriage before Mary Anne Burke, to a Bridgt (this is how it is spelt) Fallon 11/2/1841 in Killashee.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that James 1827 may have had a previous marriage before Mary Anne Burke, to a Bridgt (this is how it is spelt) Fallon 11/2/1841 in Killashee.
regards.

ooooooo intrigue. thanks paco

saville foljambe moore

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Aged 14
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.