Author Topic: Michael Coyne and Rose McGovern and family 1825 - 1850  (Read 2382 times)

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Coyne and Rose McGovern and family 1825 - 1850
« on: Thursday 03 March 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
The following family moved to Walsall, Staffordshire in England during the late 1840's - 1851:

Michael Coyne born c1808 and Rose/Rosa McGovern born c1811 - I believe they were born in Roscommon as two of their children stated this on later censuses. Their children are:

Peter Coyne - born c1833 (stated born Roscommon)
John Coyne - born c1835
Ellen Coyne - born c1835
Mary Coyne - born c1837
Michael Coyne - born 1842 (stated born Roscommon)

With the arrival of the Catholic indexes during the past few days I was hoping to find at least a baptism for one of the children or the marriage of Michael to Rose but have failed miserably.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction? Are there many Roscommon catholic registers for this time missing from the new indexes on FindMyPast and Ancestry? Has anyone come across any members of this family in their research?

I have the family on all the censuses from 1851+ in England and have the Walsall RC records that name Michael Coyne and Rose McGovern on various entries however I just can't find anything yet in the Irish records.

Thanks,
Judy
Shropshire: ELLISON, PORTER, ASTBURY, LOWE, BOTFIELD, WYCHERLEY, LEE, BICKERTON

Staffordshire:ELLISON, COPE, LEE, ASTBURY,TAYLOR, JEFFRIES, PIPER, TAFT, ROBINS, GRIFFITHS, TRUBSHAW, HARRISON, APPLEBY

Leicestershire: TAYLOR, SYKES, PEGG

Oxfordshire : UPTON, SAVAGE, NICHOLLS, WATKINS, CARTER, PARGITER, WING

Hampshire: JEFFERY, MARSHALL, BUDD, BARTHOLOMEW

Northamptonshire: ROBINS, MOLSHER RIVETT, FRENCH

Cheshire: ELLISON & BAKER

Warwickshire: WILKS, TOWNSEND, WYCHERLEY, TARVER, WATKINS

Offline Shrimpton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Coyne and Rose McGovern and family 1825 - 1850
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
judyflute, I have a connection by marriage with Coyne of Roscommon. John Coyne & Margaret McCormack were parents of Bernard Coyne born 1831(?). Bernard's parents would have been contemporaries of Michael. Related? Who knows! When Bernard married Ann McCormack they moved to Lancashire. Happy to explore further. Ann McCormack is the sister of my gt. grandmother.
Shrimpton

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Shrimpton,
Thanks for your reply, I wonder if your John Coyne could be related to my Michael (born c1808)? I haven't found any children of Michael and Rosa named Bernard but interestingly the names runs through the male line from their son Michael born 1842 (born Roscommon and lived in Walsall, Staffordshire) until my husband's grandfather in 1896. I really am stuck with this family prior to 1851 when they appeared in Walsall

Judy

Staffordshire:ELLISON, COPE, LEE, ASTBURY,TAYLOR, JEFFRIES, PIPER, TAFT, ROBINS, GRIFFITHS, TRUBSHAW, HARRISON, APPLEBY

Offline AnnaH098

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy
Did you find the information you needed? Michael Coyne was my 3x gt grandfather and he came from Ireland. He married Ellen Tracey in Walsall. I have their family tree going back to 1790. Bernard is a name that runs through my family.
Please let me know if you think this may be a match.
Anna

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
We have the same Michael Coyne and Ellen Tracey, they are my husband's Gg Grandparents.  As you know Michael's parents were Michael Coyne born c1808 (Roscommon?) and Rosa McGovern born c1811 - I'm completely stuck with these two as I can't find a marriage or their births. I can see from the Walsall censuses and Walsall catholic records who their children were but I can't find their births in Ireland. Michael (who married Ellen Tracey) and his brother Peter gave their place of birth as Roscommon. My line is Michael (1842) - Cornelius (1875) - Bernard Charles (1896).

I know Ellen Tracey's father Cornelius was born somewhere on 4 Apr 1799 (Gibraltar, Last Port of Call or Ireland depending on which census) and his wife was Susanna Ansell (I'm ok with the Ansell line as I'm back to mid 1700's).

If you have anything further back on the Coyne/ McGovern/ Tracey I would be delighted to know.
Judy

Offline AnnaH098

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy
My Mom (we call her Mom as we're from the Midlands :) was Cornelius' grand daughter.
Bernard was my Nan's brother.
I can remember my grt grandmother, Ellen, she died when she was 99 and my Nan, Nellie, died when she was 94. My Mom is Barbara (Yates). She has a photo of Ellen and Cornelius. She was devoted to him. He was known as Neil, I think. I'll try to send you a copy.
Anna

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
Sorry for the late reply, I thought I'd already answered (but obviously hadn't). Have we been in touch before as I'm sure I've emailed one of Barbara's children before? My late mother in law (Nellie Evans nee Coyne) spoke fondly of Barbara and her brother Stan. Nellie passed away in February aged 90, her sister Jean passed away last year aged 91.
Where does your Mom say the Coyne's come from in Ireland? Nellie and her brother Horace thought Cork but Jean just remembered "land of the bogs" (Roscommon?). Michael (1842) and brother Peter both put Roscommon on the 1911 census. Do you have a marriage for their brother John Coyne as no one seems able to find a marriage for him to Elizabeth McGuire/ Maguire?

Judy