Author Topic: Higgin family of Puddington  (Read 4505 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Higgin family of Puddington
« on: Friday 04 March 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I was just wondering if anybody might have any information or knowledge of the Higgin family or their homes Puddington Hall and Puddington Old Hall.

I would be most grateful for any information.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Higgin family of Puddington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
What dates are you referring to? Puddington Hall was totally destroyed by fire on 12th December 1867, it was occupied by a Mr. Sparrow. Puddington Old Hall was damaged by fire 10th October 1897, it was occupied by John Bushby.
Map at http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.2539&lon=-3.0087&layers=171&right=BingHyb
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.

The family association with Puddington started in the early 1900s I think, when a Liverpool cotton merchant called Arthur Bendyshe Earle (1857-1937) purchased property in the area (most notably he left a huge sum of money in his will to Liverpool's city social services department). He only had a daughter called Olive (1895-1978) who married a Liverpool cotton broker called Walter Wynnefield Higgin (1889-1971). The latter served as a High Sheriff of Cheshire in 1938.

Variously in newspaper articles they are described as being of "Puddington Hall" and "Puddington Old Hall," so I assumed they must have lived in them. I have little knowledge of their role in the life and history of Puddington, and until recently had assumed both halls were the same place. The eldest son (and presumably heir) of Walter was Michael Earle Sinclair Higgin, but I believe he relocated to the United States.

In general I am looking for information about the family and their connection to the area.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Puddington Hall must have been rebuilt, after the  fire. There is a 1970s photo at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h6p/
Confusingly the is another one called Puddington Hall at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h6q/ which is completely different.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 16 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Many kind thanks. That is fairly confusing, but I would guess the first picture is of the property associated with my family. On the Cheshire image bank I found this picture of W.W. Higgin which perhaps more resembles the first link.

http://cheshireimagebank.org.uk/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(%5E%7C%20+)ch6786($%7C%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJnBhZ2U9MTExMQ==

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
. The eldest son (and presumably heir) of Walter was Michael Earle Sinclair Higgin, but I believe he relocated to the United States.
so realistically we need to work backwards from Michael
b 1920 mmn earle
1918 Walter W Higgin married Olive Earle
Walter Wynefied Higgin was born in Mossley Hill , Liverpool in 1890...( as it happens 2 miles from my home )
father William S Higgin - mother Jean Higgin
1891 census has them in Wavertree ,Liverpool with a 1 month old daughter - no name - and 4 servants
William S Higgin is 35 born Lancashire and Jean is 34 born Scotland...can't find a marriage on freebmd so I presume they married in Scotland ....will look for the marriage
ADDED - no luck with marriage - I wonder if Jean maiden name was Wynefield / Winefield with it being Walters middle name ??
ADDED again - forget that suggestion about Jean being a Wynefield / Winefield - I think it should be Walter Winfield Higgin and it was mistranscribed as Wynefield....the reason being there are a few
Walter Winfield Higgin - and
Winfield Higgin on Lan-opc - and they are Gentlemen / Cotton Manufacturer
if my thoughts are right - your Higgin may have been from Lancaster - needs more research

see what you think

Baptism: 7 Jun 1817 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
Winfield Higgin - Son of Thomas Housman Higgin & Sarah
    Born: 6 Apr 1817
    Abode: Lancaster

Marriage: 15 Dec 1842 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
Winfield Higgin - of full age, Manufacturer, Bachelor, Greenfield
Sarah Mason - of full age, Spinster, Queen Square
    Groom's Father: Thomas Housman Higgin, Manufacturer
    Bride's Father: Thomas Mason, Merchant

Baptism: 1 Nov 1843 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
Walter Winfield Higgin - Son of Winfield Higgin & Sarah
    Born: 7 Sep 1843
    Abode: Lancaster

Burial: 1 Mar 1844 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
Walter Winfield Higgin -
    Abode: Lancr.

I think that your Walter Wynefield Higgin - father of Michael Earle Sinclair Higgin is somehow connected to the Lancaster Higgin family ....probably needs someone more experienced than me to research William S Higgin birth and parents - in census it says he was 35 in 1891 and born in Lancashire
good luck
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 March 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Walter Wynnefield Higgin's of Puddington Hall, Puddington Newton Wirral Cheshire died 9 August 1971. His probate record shows he left £116,066

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 16 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Walter received his Royal Aero Club Aviators Certificate on 9 March 1916.
Plane - Maurice Farman Biplane.

Walter was a Lieutenant with 6th (Rifle) Bn. The King's Liverpool Regiment.

JJ

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Walter Wynnefield Higgin's of Puddington Hall, Puddington Newton Wirral Cheshire died 9 August 1971. His probate record shows he left £116,066

JJ

that Newton is a mistranscription - it should say Neston - my family are from Neston and I have visited a few times - Puddington Hall was in Puddington ,Neston - unless there are TWO ??

HAD to google it ...lol
Puddington Hall, Puddington Village, Puddington, Neston CH64 5ST

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford