Author Topic: 1841/1851 lookup Appleton/Stockton Heath  (Read 3378 times)

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841/1851 lookup Appleton/Stockton Heath
« on: Friday 15 July 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Please could someone take a look at the 1841 and 1851 census for the following?

I am looking for Baguleys living in the Appleton or Stockton Heath area ,specifically:

Thomas Baguley 1796
Ellen Baguley 1805
and their children Mary 1828, Ann 1830, Thomas 1840 and William Ellam 1849.

I am keen to trace a missing male sibling born circa 1829 -father of a grandson Richard born 1853 who appears in the 1861 census.

Thomas senior had several siblings who I have very little information about, I imagine the sister would have married but I'll list her just in case:

Peter Baguley c1788
John Baguley c1793
Mary Baguley c1800

They were all born in Great Budworth and could still be there -like I say I don't know much!

Thanks for your help

Sue

CHS: Stevenson (Malpas) Brooke (Malpas) Baguley (Lymm) Bellin (Neston) Metcalf (Shocklach/Farndon)
DBS: Roberts (Borras Hovah, Wrexham) Rowe (Holt, Wrexham)
LCS: Clitheroe (St Helens)
STF: Lawrence (Church Eaton)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 lookup Appleton/Stockton Heath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 05 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I have your family in 1841/1851, it seems that Thomas senior was born in Lymm, all their parish records can be found in this link

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

In there is a marriage dated 12/3/1782 for a Peter Baguley and Ellen Ellam
         Also a birth for Thomas Baguley 16/8/1791 father Peter mother Ellen.

1841 HO107-92-12-Page 3  Stockton Heath Appleton

Thomas Baguley 45 ag lab      all born in county
Ellen                   35
Ann                    11
Sarah                 8
John                   6
Thomas              1

1851 HO107-2164-Folio 92  Stockton Heath

Thomas Baguley head 59 ag lab Lymm
Ellen                   wife 47             Thelwell
Thomas               son 11             Appleton
Joseph                        7
William E                    2

non of the siblings of Thomas senior are around in 51, tried Lymm as well

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 05 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much Peter!

I knew there had to be an Ellam in there somewhere but I've never managed to trace it!

I had been working on the the premise that Thomas senior was the son of John Baguley and Mary Plant (information I was given by another Baguley descendant). Your information clearly makes much more sense. Of course that means the siblings I gave for Thomas are all wrong - oops :-[! I hope you didn't spend too much time looking for them.

Again a big thank you for putting me on the right track :D

Best wishes

Sue

CHS: Stevenson (Malpas) Brooke (Malpas) Baguley (Lymm) Bellin (Neston) Metcalf (Shocklach/Farndon)

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Baguleys in Lymm 1841/51
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello there

This is a follow up from my previous Baguley request. Thanks to Peter's brilliant information I now have a new batch of Baguleys to track down. They are as follows:

John Baguley c1785
Joseph Baguley c1787

also

John Cook c1789 and wife Sarah c1789

Thanks very much

Sue

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 05 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

This is what's been found,if you need any more let us know.

John Baguley died Lymm 10/7/1814 no marriage found

Joseph Baguley died Lymm 1858 wife Ellen ?

Sarah Cook died 1851-1861 husband John died 1851 age 60

1851 HO107-2163-F72     Lymm

Ellen Baguley head wid 59 farmer Lymm
John               son unwed 38 ~
Thomas                             26

1841 HO107-93-15-Page 5   Lymm

Joseph Baguley 50 ag lab     all born in county
Ellen                  50
John                  25
Peter                20
Thomas            15
Elizabeth          13
Mary                  9
William Beswick 70

1851 HO107-2162-F240   Ashton-on-Mersey

John Cook head 60 joiner born Lymm
Sarah        wife 61                         ~

1841 HO107-91-1-Page 5  Ashton-on-Mersey

John Cook 50 joiner      all born in county
Sarah        50
Peter Baguley 15

The Peter 15 above is the eldest son of Thomas and Ellen Baguley of Stockton Heath.

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 05 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter

Thats brilliant. I had spotted Ellen Baguley in a later census and was sure she must be related somehow! Your help has been invaluable, thanks again.

Best wishes

Sue

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 05 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again Peter

Now I've had chance to digest the information it seems to me that Peter Baguley (son of Thomas and Ellen) is the most likely candidate to be father of the grandson Richard who appears in the 1861 census.

Richard was born in 1853 so if I'm right Peter should be around in the 1851. I wonder if you would mind checking this out for me? Richard's birthplace is given as Appleton so hopefully his parents didn't stray far from the area.

Thanks for your help

Sue

Just discovered a Peter Bagley c1826 born Lymm, alive and well and living in Widnes with wife Mary (1830 Widnes) and daughter Ellen (1859)

Also the other Peter c1821 should be in the area living with wife Martha c1820 and daughter Sarah c1844. I wonder are there any other children?

Thank you!

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Now I've had chance to digest the information it seems to me that Peter Baguley (son of Thomas and Ellen) is the most likely candidate to be father of the grandson Richard who appears in the 1861 census.

Richard was born in 1853 so if I'm right Peter should be around in the 1851. I wonder if you would mind checking this out for me? Richard's birthplace is given as Appleton so hopefully his parents didn't stray far from the area.

You may well be right about Richard being the son of Peter (c1826) but my money would be on him being an illegitimate son of maybe Sarah or Ann Baguley.
              I have searched around the 1851 for the above Peter however I did not find him, you may have to wait for the 1851 to be indexed nationwide and put online. Or have a go on the Lancs board for a 51 lookup.
             I did find Richard in 1871 working in Great Sankey Warrington as a farm lab RG10-3902-F45 indexed as Baynley.

As for the other Peter he his in Lymm with his children but I cannot find his wife.

HO107-2163-F79     Broom Edge Lymm

Peter Baguley head marr 32 lab Lymm
Sarah              daug         7
Thomas           son           5
Joseph                             2
Harriet Borrowly ? lodger 20 fusion cutter Lymm

I have found Sarah Baguley also in 1851

HO107-2203-F480     45 Haydock Street Warrington

Margaret Ann Wright head wid 44 shop keeper Warrington
Robert                       son 14
William                             13
Elizabeth                   daug 11
Richard                      son 9
Sarah Baguley        servant 18  Stockton Heath

bye for now

peterbennett

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I think you could be right regarding Richard's parentage. In the 1861 census Ann Baguley is living with her married sister, Mary Davenport in Altrincham. There is a 1 month old baby, Harriet Baguley, whom I can only presume is Ann's - perhaps her parents were less forgiving this time around and sent her packing to her sister's! She's back in Appleton with her father in 1871 (no sign of Harriet) so it looks like they made up!

Thank you for all your help

Sue